Two questions about USB audio interfaces

noiseordinance

Heya. I used to have an EMU 0404 PCI card. I have a laptop that's a zillion times faster, so I ditched my computer and decided to go the USB route.

1. Latency. This was non-existant with PCI, so I have a bit to learn. I'm curious, as I turn down the latency, audio distorts... is this distortion being recorded, or is this just part of the monitoring?

2. Lower output volumes. I've used two different USB interfaces now; a Presonus 22VSL and now a Focusrite 2i2. I have them hooked up to two M-Audio BX5a monitors, and I'm noticing the output is generally quieter now. It seems like audio on the EMU when turned halfway up was about as loud as these two USB interfaces turned all the way up. I imagine I can compensate for this by turning up the volume on the back of the monitors, but just curious if this is to be expected?

Thanks for any feedback!!

The distortion is just part of the monitoring. If you turn JUST the latency down and it starts distorting, it's not being recorded.

I don't know if it's specific to USB interfaces... But you can check the output volume of any interface in their spec sheet that the manufacturer will provide at their website before purchasing them if it's an issue.

The distortion is just part of the monitoring. If you turn JUST the latency down and it starts distorting, it's not being recorded.

I don't know if it's specific to USB interfaces... But you can check the output volume of any interface in their spec sheet that the manufacturer will provide at their website before purchasing them if it's an issue.

Thanks much for the info! Very helpful.

Latency with the 2i2 was not all that good. I understand that Focusrite now have new drivers (and possibly a firmware update) that speeds the AI up considerably. Checkout their website.

Dave.

Back