Tascam US 16x08 Mix-Minus?

Chris McDaniel

Im looking at the Tascam US 16x08 as an I/O but just can't definitively figure out if it'll do a mix-minus thru its included 'DSP mixer'.
There's a screenshot on the Tascam website of the mixer, but it just kinda shows 1 channel going to 1 output on the back. There's also a youtube video of some guy talking about it, but he flat out says its confusing and unintuitive (I agree).

Would I be able to route several channels of my choosing through 1 single output?

I guess worst case scenario I could run a patch cord from each out into an analog mixer that'll bounce the selected tracks down to 1 signal, but I would hope the tascam could do it internally right?

The Tascam isn't a mixer. It is an interface. The interface does no routing of signal on its own. Though it does look like the DSP mixer has some abilities to create monitor mixes, I am not sure whether or not that works as a standalone feature without a DAW.

You can for sure route any of the inputs to a specific output via your DAW software.

What exactly is it you are looking to accomplish?

Last edited:
I'd like to send all of my inputs minus an incoming phone line input, to a seperate output from my monitor mix that I will feed into the microphone input of said phone, so that the phone caller doesn't hear his own voice's echo.
According to Tascam's website the US 16x08 incorporates a software mixer that can manipulate which individual channels go to which outputs on the back.
I could just throw a patch cord on each output (minus the phone channel's output) and run those into a Behringer 1202 analog mixer, then run the Behringer out, into the phone line mic input, but that seems terribly redundant and/or overkill.
Since the Tascam reportedly has a mixer, I was hoping somebody could confirm whether it allowed multiple channels to be mixed into 1 mono output (or even 2 as stereo).
I use GarageBand as a DAW and am not sure if it would allow me to manipulate the Tascam's outputs.
If I'm getting this totally wrong I apologize, I'm new to it.

Hmmm, after further reading it looks like I need something with separate busses. Maybe I'll have to step up to the Tascam US 20x20.

Back