routing mixer-computer-mixer

Burden of Proof

Hey all,

I've just made the investment in a Yamaha MG 16/4 (yay!) and the next step is some decent powered monitors since I don't have an amp. I'm currently taking the 'recording' out (rca's) into my Audiophile 24/96 and using my computer speakers (2.1 proprietary system shipped with the Dell) as monitors.

I'm going to eventually upgrade the system with a delta 1010 or something else to allow the 8 insert sends from the Yamaha to go into the system individually, which leads to question #1: What cables do I need for this? Just 8 unbalanced 1/4" phone to RCA connectors, or is there a snazzier way of doing this? Plus, isn't it bad news to use unbalanced connectors connecting so close to my computer and sound card? Alternately, for now, is there a better way to get output from the mixer to the soundcard than through the pre-master-fade recording output (I tried connecting the main output to the card, but that's at +4db and I think the Audiophile input is line level - everything was way too loud)?

Next, once I have monitors to connect the output of the mixer to, what is the preferred method for bringing the sound back out from the computer to the mixer? I figure I've got rca in's on both 13/14 and 15/16 to plug some output through - but then won't I be getting double signal from the originating channel and the computer output? I've got group sends, so would this be an issue of switching so I'm only hearing the group output on the 13/14 and 15/16 pairs when monitoring and using the regular stereo output for initial levelling (or reverse)?

I've seen that lots of folks use this type of setup, but I'm not sure how exactly it's done. There's a diagram in my mixer handbook, but the connections just didn't seem to work out that way with my sound card's connectivity. Also, when 'tapping' the inserts on the mixer, is there an advantage to using a certain type of cable, or it's just the old 'tip instead of ring' trick? And does balanced/unbalanced make a difference on those connections?

I'm sure this has been addressed before, so if there's a thread you can point me to somewhere that would be great.

-The Burden-

For cables, yeh you just need 1/4"-rca - there was a thread posted here in the last couple days with a link to a nice 8-chanel 1/4"-rca snake. Unbalanced is fine for 20 feet cables.

There should be switches in the audiophile control panel to select +4 or-10 so you can match the +4 from the mixer's main outs.

The way I use my 12/4 for monitoring is to output from the soundcard to the 2TR In jacks. Switches on the mixer then let you control the routing to CR out for monitoring, back to the main bus etc.

For inserts just use standars mono cables pushed into the 1st click

sounds good... makes a lot of sense, with a couple new questions raised:

is there an advantage to using the +4db out over the -10db (other than it passes through the master fader first)? I have a pair of crappy old 1/4" to RCA of questionable quality (I think they're homemade - got 'em at a garage sale), but several sets of nice new rca connectors... better to use the better cables, or the main output?

and

if I go out through the main outs and then back in (even on the 2TR), won't I create a feedback loop? Should my initial output come out of the group 1/2 sends, then back in the 2TR, then out the main outs to the monitors, or am I missing something? The diagram in the manual shows out to the computer through the Group 1/2 sends, then back in on channels 13/14, but I couldn't figure how this would work in terms of monitoring and not getting duplicate sounds (unless all inputs are routed to group 1/2, and only 13/14 on the main stereo bus...) still a little confused here - but less so now than before.

thank you very much. This board is a truly excellent resource and support group for us less-initiated folks.

+4db is preferable as the hotter signal gives you better signal to noise ratio.

Plug your monitors into the C-R Out jacks. At the right of the mixer there's a couple of switches, ST-Group & 2TR IN. These route signals both to the phones jack and the CR-Out jacks for monitoring. If you push the 2 TR IN switch on and leave the other off, only the 2TR IN signal goes to the phones/monitors

thanks again

the s/n ratio thing makes total sense (can't believe I didn't think of that)...

so, until I'm actually using the 8 insert sends, should I pull the 2 (L/R) channels off of the group 1/2 sends (as these are likely +4 instead of -10) and use the group send switch on my incoming channels, with the 2TR switch to monitor the whole output? Anyone else doing this with a Yamaha MG mixer and an Audiophile 2496?

Thanks for all your help Bulls Hit.

Yep that will do it. You can only record 2 tracks at a time with the audiophile, so you can't go too far wrong.

Remember to use the mixer's pan controls to route the individual channel strips to either the left or right Group out channel

Back