Radio, Mix Console, Mic and Aux outputs

SnakeHaveYou

Hello all

Using a Mic connected to the XLR Input 1 of a Mix Console routes the sound from the Mic to the Main Mix output in our radio station..
Is there any way to route the Mic to the Aux1 output only, so the Mic only sounds on Aux1 and not on the Main Mix so we can chat in a VoIP app like teamspeak so the audience can’t hear us before going to air? The Aux1 output can be connected to the soundcard used by the VoIP app and used to talk before going to the air, and when we are ready to go on air, route the mic to the Main Mix so the audience can hear us..

We are starting some shows in a small radio, but with the quarantine we don’t have the possibility to be in the studio, so we are thinking of using some VoIP app to comunícate to the studio and chat with the person in there.. We don’t have a console with Aux output so we can’t test that possibility before buying it..

The other possibility is to use another Mix Console only for that Mic and send it to the Main Radio Station Console when going on air..

Thanks!! ?

That's what a pre-fader aux send does, sends signal out independently of the channel fader (because it taps signal off upstream of the fader). On some consoles it's labeled as a monitor send.

It would help to know the specific model of console.

Yes, it’s a Behringer XENYX 1202FX.. It does have a FX Send and a Control Room Out..

So the pre-fader intercepts the audio coming from the Mic before the main knob of the Input 1 does?

I doubt that the track FX send is pre-fader on the Behr, as then the sound would be hitting the reverb even when the fader is off, and that fader return would then give the FXed sound to the main. You need a mixer with an AUX send.
BTW, that mixer is about as cheap as you can get with FX on it (not necessarily a good thing!)

They bought a Yamaha MG16 today.. With the pre-fader this can work, is the analog Mixer, it doesn’t have USB, but i think i can route some jacks on the onboard soundcard..

Yes, i know that about the Behringer, but it’s a small nonprofit radio station, so i have to work with the equipment in there.. The thing is that even with a good Mixer, the FM radio equipment and the soundcard must be quality made too to get good audio quality on a radio device..

Back