problem when mixing and mastering with computer

drewby97

posted this on the ableton thread but got no replies

Ive been using ableton live 8 for a while now, and am having a certain problem. looking for some help

when mixing either vocals or drums (paticuraly the bass drum). i get a kind of pumping sound where every other instrument goes down in volume when i hit the kick.

I use the multi band dynamics tool or the compressor to raise the DBs so i can hear them but then i get that awful sound.

How do i get a booming kick drum or loud vocals without destroying the rest of the mix?

What Mike said. Compress/limit the kick at the track level so it doesn't hit the main limiter so hard. And you can only push the mix volume so far before things fall apart.

I would start by thinking that the kick is too loud and your compression is too aggressive. Maybe try compressing just the kick, or just the drum bus. You can tame the peaks on just that before applying overall master bus compression and it should pump less because the kick's peaks will not be as dramatic.

*edit*
that's what I get for posting slowly...I basically repeated what was already said while I was typing.

Back