Problem with head phones need help

RogerL.

I have a problem in that I can't figure out how to get my head phones to play back all that I'm recording. For example, I'm using a Lexicon interface to put down a rhythm track this is recorded into the computer, then I want to add a vocal track. I plug my head phones into the speaker output of the computer. Now I can hear the rhythm track but not what I'm singing into the Lexicon. Is there a way that I can hear both, so far I've been successful only because I can sing on key and I just sing to the rhythm track but it gets hairy if I'm trying to sing harmony to the vocal since I can't hear the two together until it's layed down . . . any suggestions? I have a Behringer Micro amp that will power four head phones but I have no idea of how to get both signals. Thanks in advance :o

Some interfaces have a direct monitor knob which allows you to blend between computer playback and direct live input.
Since you don't list your interface model, I don't know if you have that but it's something to look into.
What model of lexicon do you have, and does it not have a headphone output?
Sound like you're using an interface for ins and a soundcard for outs which isn't a great way to go.

The other way to do it is a function of your software.
Any recording software that I've used will immediately pass incoming audio to the speakers/headphones when a track is record armed.
Sometimes there's an option in the software to turn this on/off. In protools it's called "Input only monitoring".

Have a search for 'input monitoring' or 'live monitoring'......something like that.

I'm using a Lambd^ and yes it has a head phone jack but from what I see it will only feed out what is being fed into the Lambd^ . . .isn't that correct? It does have a monitor switch and output level control

Plug your headphones into the lambda and disable, or at least don't use, the built in soundcard in your computer.

Turn the monitor mix knob to playback, hit play, and adjust your output level.
Now set up your vocal track, hit record, and slowly turn the mix knob towards direct whilst singing into the mic.
When you find a good balance, run with that. :)

FWIW I never monitor my vocals. I just pop one side of the headphones off.
Different strokes and what not but it's something else for you to try. :)

I found that I didn't have the Lexicon selected for the monitor, when I made the change it works as it's supposed to thanks . . . . :facepalm:

Back