Pro Tools + Mac ????

sixfootape

Can anyone give me the low down on Macs and Pro Tools or some other software that they love? See, I use a VS 1880 and have been real happy with it but my drummer who works in the computer field has given my home studio a Mac G4 and I would like to use it in conjunction with the VS if possible. I get Electronic Musician but have put most of the issues on the back burner because I'v just been too busy with building the studio in the first place and I fear the overwhelming info would sink me like a stone.
I was hoping someone could point out the "obvious" things like how to hook it up with the VS and if there's anything I need to get sounds into to the Mac??? I'm just not in the know when it comes to computer recording, although I realise the VS is esentially the same.
Thanks,
Pedro

Big question!! I'll throw my $.02 in and we'll see where it goes...

IF the VS has individual track outs, then you're job will be a lot easier. If not, then you'll have to use your main stereo outs. Here's what I'd imagine the process looks like, keeping in mind that I don't know anything about the VS 1880 and there may well be other ways to go about this.

First, you will need a sound card and multitrack recording software to go in that Mac. The most efficient sound card will have at least as many inputs as the 1880 has outputs. If you are thinking Pro Tools, then you'll get both the soundcard and the software in one package- simple, easy to use, but not always the cheapest route.

So, I'll assume that the 1880 has only 2 outputs. If is has more, just multiply what I'm saying here by the number of outputs. I'll also use the Mbox since it also has 2 inputs and, honestly, I don't know which multitrack programs run on Mac. :)

Hook the 2 outs of the 1880 into the 2 inputs of the Mbox. If you have S/PDIF I/O on the VS, I'd use that, but I'll continue as if it doesn't. Set the Mbox inputs to "line in" and adjust the input gain so that its not clipping. Then select 2 tracks in the 1880 and mute all the rest. Play those 2 tracks out to Pro Tools and record it there. Pan those tracks hard right and left so that you are recording indiviudal tracks into pro tools.

Then repeat with another sets of 2 tracks until your song is completely in Pro Tools, making sure to create new tracks in Pro Tools for each new set of 2. Then you have the fun, fun task of lining all the tracks up so they play in time. That's a task, for sure, but there are tricks to making it easier and it really isn't all that hard when you have sets of 2 that are in time already.

Each type of recording hardware and software will have slightly different ways of going about this, but the process is usually about the same.

Take care,
Chris

Thanks Chris,
I see there is soooo much to learn and figure by the time I've made my decision, there will be 10 new products on the market to choose from! I was actually wondering if anyone has used their PC or Mac and slaved a DAW like a VS or Korg unit per say and if it whether or not it was worth it. Thanks for the input though. I'll post any info I find.
Thanks Again,
Pedro

Yo sixfooter! I'm currently making the switchover at a slightly higher level. I'm currently using a VS1824CD, but adding a Digi002 and a Mac. This setup can be used in 2 ways, which might or might not be applicable to you, depending on your equipment and your needs. THe Digi002 is a digital mixer, with 4 channels of Focusrite pres, and 4 channels with no pres, for direct inserts.
It can be used as a Pro Tools DAW, or turn the switch off, and it's just a digital mixer. So- I can jack my outboard pres into the inserts, using the 4 channels of onboard pres for additional tracks (drums), and put it into Pro Tools in the Mac. The PT software is entirely in the Digi002, allowing for a boatload of plugins and editing/processing capability.
Or- I can turn off the switch, using the 002 as a mixer, exporting 2 tracks by S/PDIF to the VS studio, bypassing its cruddy pres and its so-so A-D converter, going straight to the hard drive in a remote recording situation. That way, the 002 becomes a front end for the Roland in the field, or the main DAW in the studio. It's built in 2 versions- a rack mount unit with no mixer, just a Pro Tools DAW, for about a grand, and the version described above, about 2 grand. It may be out of your current budget, but it's definitely something to think about if you're going from a VS studio to a Pro Tools setup.-Richie

Back