Presonus Firestudio project for me?

MrZehl

'llo all,

I first posted this in the 'Other equipment and reviews' forum but I think it suits better in this forum.

I'm a dutch storyteller and want to record live performances and homerecordings.

For home I now have MXL 990 mics and a MAudio Mobile Pre.

For live performances I have a DPA 4061-BM microphone, Sennheiser sender/reciever, Beringer XENIX 802 mixer, a DSP 1124P feedback destroyer and a Mackie SRM 350 active speaker.
Often I perform with a musician.

I'm not satisfied with the Mobile Pre. Far to noisy. The liveset is also not great. I would like to have Thundersound speakers, but well.... that is for when I have the money. But for now... My home recordings must be better and I want to have the possibility to record my live performances in separate tracks. Me, the musician and the audience. So I can mix the tracks later to get a good liverecording for cd or podcast.

So the preamps must be good and the possibilty for several track recordings must be available. I have been looking around and found the Presonus Firestudio Project. The preamps are improved versions of the firebox. There is also the possibility to send several different mixes to several bandmembers. I won't use that. But that makes me ask: I'm paying for stuff I don't need, so is this the best value for money choise for me?

And I I'll buy it now I can get the Presonus Faderport for free. Well that looks like a nice little thing. If it's really as easy as it looks I can replace my Beringer mixer with the FireStudio Project, the Faderport and my laptop and get better sound and separate recorded tracks. Is that so?

So it seems that this equipment can replace my M-Audio Mobile Pre and my Behringer mixer, I get far more possibilties and better sound at home and on stage. So is this the right equipment for me or is there a better choise?

And the recorded tracks are this the raw (incoming) tracks or the equalised tracks?

Focusrite Saffire pro

Hmmm. found out that the Firestudio is not supported for Linux and Presonus is not really willing to put any effort in supporting it. More than a half year ago they promised the ffado project to deliver all the information and they sill didn't. Focusright did deliver al the information and even contributed the hardware so in the upcoming release all products from Focusrite will be supported.
So now... I'm thining about the Saffire Pro 10.
Any comments/suggestions?

I've been trying to make the Terratec Phase 88 FW work under Linux with mixed results. There are reports of it working, but I've not yet got mine to do anything useful. For my archiving project I'm using Reaper under XP, but my ultimate aim is to have it working in Ardour2. It sees all the interfaces, but nothing seems to come in.

Back