Multitrack recording with Audition: newb question

Starforsaken

Hi folks, sorry for what is probably a stupid question, but my brain is getting fried the more I think about this.

I'm currently recording using a Line6 Pod XT pro into an E-Mu 0404 PCI card, with Adobe Audition 1.5. I'm lining up some recording and I'd like to try using the Pod's reamping feature - I want to record the processed stereo output of the Pod, but I'd also like to record the dry guitar track at the same time so that I can either reamp later on, or just keep the track spare in case of problems.

The E-Mu card I'm using has 2 1/4" inputs and outputs, plus a digital S/PDIF I/O.

According to the Pod handbook, I would seem to need 3 analogue inputs to record this (L+R for the processed out, and another one for the dry out), which is obviously not possible with this E-Mu card. So, I would need to set up Audition to record the analogue Pod L+R outputs to one track, and the digital output to a different track.

My question is, is it possible to record a L+R stereo analogue input to one track using Audition, and simultaneously record a digital input to a different track? If so, how do I go about doing this? I can't see an obvious way to configure different Audition tracks to record from separate input sources.

Many thanks for your help.

As Emu routings have to first be set up in Patchmix problems might not be with Audition at all, but assuming that Patchmix routings are set and that 0404 supports simultaneous analog and digital input (i've installed several PCI 0404 but can not remember whether they support simultaneous input)

In the left hand panel of the multitrack window you left click on 'in' button, this brings up available options, set one track to mono 0404 analog 1 (for example) and one track to stereo 0404 digital (if available) if digital is not available you need to set it's options from the 0404 console app, probably 'system settings' in the Patchmix app

Hi, thanks for your reply. I have wondered whether the problem lies within Audition or Patchmix, but I *think* it's in Audition.

Your suggestion makes total sense, but when I click on that "In" button, I don't get those options. I've attached two screenshots; the first is my Patchmix window (the "send" info on the right side shows the L input sending to ASIO 1/2 - the R sends to 3/4 and the S/PDIF sends to 5/6). The second is my Audition window showing the options I get when I hit that "In" button.

Any thoughts? Looks basically like Audition isn't recognising the multiple input options. Sorry the images are low quality, trying to keep filesizes down.

Attachments

• pmdspscreen1.jpg
    pmdspscreen1.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 25
  • aa15screen1.jpg
    aa15screen1.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 22
Well for starters I don't believe AA1.5 supported ASIO

But if you have multiple hardware options (devices, drivers, etc.) Those need to be setup no matter which software you use for audio work. And different applications can use different variations on all the options. But, as mentioned I don't think, in AA1.5, ASIO was one of those options; this leaves WDM, MME, or some hardware proprietary variation on kernel streaming.

Off the top of my head it has been long enough since I tried to set up Patch mix that I would not want to pretend I could do it off the cuff . . . It was, for me, always slightly counter intuitive . . . Powerful and useful but definitely required some opening of the support files to even get to work, for me, at all.

That said. Audition has no control over A/D functions at all. It simply accepts data passed to it via the hardware layers. So first, next suggestion is that the s/pdif input has not be activated in AA preferences menu. (don't have 1.5 on this machine and finally migrated to 3 a year ago so cant get to specific labels but if I remember they used to show up in 'options' menu under settings) Under one of the tabs you'll have a divided screen, hardware I/O options AA can recognize (compatible hardware layers/drivers) on the left and ones 'activated' for use on the right. For an available, not activated option, you simple highlight an option in left hand panel, click the action that shifts it into the right had panel. These options should now be available in multitrack options.

AA (1.5) can recognize and use Emu PCI 0404 s/pdif so it not showing up in multitrack is not an inherent problem with AA.

What I can't remember is whether the PCI 0404 supports simultaneous analog digital input (you can route the same signal to analog, and both RCA and optical outputs but that is a very different issue then integrating input from multiple sources.

If 0404 digital is activated in AA then for whatever reason you don't have simultaneous analog digital input in AA, but switching to mono you can get two independent sources . . . But not three or four

I think you hit the nail on the head with the "I don't believe AA1.5 supporting ASIO". I've done some more reading and that seems to be root of the problem. Seems that E-Mu don't produce full WDM drivers for their hardware. I'm going to get an upgrade package and update to AA3.0 - I've been looking for an excuse to update anyway, but 3.0 apparently does support ASIO. And I'll see if that solves the problem...

upgraded to AA3 (from 1.5) a year (or so) ago and it has gradually become editor of choice

it needs to be approached as 'new' app. In 'edit' mode it functions in much the same way as eariler versions but even here there are differences

I would suggest keeping parallel installations running at least until you find you don't ever shell out 1.5

(once a session as been converted to 3 it will not function in 1.5)

good luck

Back