Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: MIDI question

Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    To be honest, I have (up to now) tried every combination I could think of without success. I was beginning to doubt my Korg's MIDI out until you helped. A mixer setup makes perfect sense. I'm getting doddery in my dotage and sometimes my brain is slow!

Thanks
    In our setup here we have a multiple output MIDI device that sends out MIDI to the samplers, keyboards and modules. I drive the system with a master keyboard. All these sound producing gizmos then go back to my mixer that really just does monitoring. If I need to get one of the sound modules or synths back in, I use the patchbay and just stick two cables in linking the synth into the interface for recording. As I have quite a few, the mixer axes were getting very tricky to handle the combinations. for me, stuffing in a couple of patch cables was easier!

Being very honest, I've now got VSTi versions of practically all my modules and synths and I rarely even power up the proper units.

Thanks

attempted

Quote Originally Posted by rob aylestone View Post
    the thing mine doesn't do and yours does is often missed - if you connect the keyboard to the Korg, so you can play it direct with the MIDI cable, then depending how you have the DAW set, the USB cable can go into the laptop, through the DAW and then out - meaning the Korg gets two sets if MIDI information. So you hit C2, and the direct MIDI cable plays C2, immediately followed by the one coming through from the computer. Two things happen - nothing, but it eats up your polyphony, or you start to get hung notes. You let go of the keys, and that C carries on playing. Even worse when you use pitch bend and controllers. What are you using the reverse connection for? The one that goes to the master keyboard? Is this to make the displays do things or patch ranges pop up? If you did this, you need to see if the keyboard has a setting that prevents the MIDI in being used as a MIDI thru - if what comes in goes out, then back in then out - you get a huge loop that will cause chaos. Same with the Korg. What will be coming out of the MIDI out that needs to go back to the interface? The way your diagram works, the DAW cannot send notes to the Korg, can it? Only via going back to the master keyboard which requires thru to be turned on - aaaaaaagh.

The computer, through the interface MIDI output needs to go to the Korg MIDI in 100% The master keyboard MUST got to the interface MIDI in or you cannot do the basics. To make the Korg make sounds therefore requires the DAW to send the MIDI coming in, out of the MIDI out. Cubase - my DaW does this happily, I'm sure yours will too.
    Ok, thats it wired exactly are per the diagram. Everything works EXCEPT the Korg is not getting a MIDI signal from the Saffire MIDI out. ~If I plug the keyboard midi out directly into the Korg MIDI in, it lights up. So the problem seems to be the Saffire?

Thanks
    No I suspect it's actually the routing in the DAW. Certainly that's how it works in Cubase, you need to tell it to route the MIDI in to the MIDI out - sorry I don't know how to do that in yours.

Thanks
    Thats it! working perfectly! I had the Korg track monitor off - now its perfect - thank you a squillion times!

Thanks
    Got there in the end - glad it's sorted.

Thread Information