M-Audio Delta 1010 LT PCI Digital Audio Computer Interface

Roguetitan

So, does anyone use this interface with Reaper?
I have done a little research and it looks very promising.

Maybey one of the Reaper gurus or a hardcore computer geek can chime in here and tell us a little something about Reaper compadability with this little jewel.
284177.jpg

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/MAudio-Delta-1010-LT-PCI-Digital-Audio-System?sku=701376

Thanks!

Works fine with reaper.

If you're planning on using it under Windows Vista, be aware that there are no Vista drivers for ANY of M-Audio's PCI cards, and no indication that they'll be delivered any time soon.

You should be fine if you're running any OS but Vista though.

I recently bought a used 1010LT off of e-bay (had one Bad Input) and I use it in conjunction with my Delta 44 ,I tried it with Reaper and didn"t notice any problems but I still prefer Traction as my DAW......

:D

i got this card and my only regret is that i didn't save up enough to get the rackmount version..

if you can afford a little more go with the rack..

i got this card and my only regret is that i didn't save up enough to get the rackmount version..

if you can afford a little more go with the rack..

I built a rackmount for my Delta 1010LT ,well for the Inputs anyways.....

I used an Old 1U Chassis and added 6 RCA Inputs on the Front connected to 6 RCA Inputs at the back and added 2 XLR Jacks at the Front for the ballanced Mic/Line inputs and just run cables from the Delta 1010LT to the Rack mount Breakout box......

:)

I've got 2 of the LT units in my PC. I'm a happy camper...never had an issue. What I did was get two RCA to PHONO snakes and connect them up to patch panels. I used XLR to PHONO cables to bring the XLR connections out to the same patch panels.

Thanks for the info Guys.
Trust me I would'nt touch Vista with a 10 foot pole!

I will definately be taking a look at the rack mount model for sure.
any links to that?
Marion and Punkin
can you post some pics of your setup to give me some Ideas how I can configure the hardware in my rack?

Thanks

I downloaded the trial of reaper not to long ago and like people said above, absolutely no issues.

I might look into the regular 1010 (rackmounted) if i were you. Have one cable vs. the 19 i have running in and out of mine can make a mess. Also, the fact it uses 1/4 in instead of RCA, and you can use balanced is a huge plus. I don't know if their is a big jump in quality though, that would need to justify the fact it is 3x as expensive. Plus the midi on the front is not what i want personally.

But yeah, i think this card is the best bang for the buck out their really, not real complaints.

I downloaded the trial of reaper not to long ago and like people said above, absolutely no issues.

I might look into the regular 1010 (rackmounted) if i were you. Have one cable vs. the 19 i have running in and out of mine can make a mess. Also, the fact it uses 1/4 in instead of RCA, and you can use balanced is a huge plus. I don't know if their is a big jump in quality though, that would need to justify the fact it is 3x as expensive. Plus the midi on the front is not what i want personally.

But yeah, i think this card is the best bang for the buck out their really, not real complaints.

Absolutley!
I priced the other card with the rack mount input bay, 500 bucks is too much for something I can build my self.
it is a nice setup but I can build something just as good if not better. I will probably wind up converting the RCA's to 1/4" inputs; half the outputs will prolly wind up being converted to 1/4 phone and the other half speakon that way I don't have to reconfigure my cabling.

I could really use more LXR inputs for micking drums is there any way I can use an lxr input but send it as an unbalanced signal, How could I wire something like that up?:confused:

The main difference between LT and non-LT is that the non-LT has external converters so the signal is converted in the rack, and not going throug long unbalanced RCAs.

The main difference between LT and non-LT is that the non-LT has external converters so the signal is converted in the rack, and not going throug long unbalanced RCAs.

but the signal that is going through the unbalanced RCA line will have already been processed through the mixer; the sent signal from the mixer would be the same signal that is sent to a speaker by way of an unbalanced speaker cable, would it not?
The unbalanced cable from the mixer to the sound card will not be a very long run, 10 to 15 foot at most.
I dont see where that would be an issue.
i hardly see where the cable from the mixer to the sound card needs to be a balanced signal.....Am I missing something?:confused:
if I am please educate me?

but the signal that is going through the unbalanced RCA line will have already been processed through the mixer; the sent signal from the mixer would be the same signal that is sent to a speaker by way of an unbalanced speaker cable, would it not?
The unbalanced cable from the mixer to the sound card will not be a very long run, 10 to 15 foot at most.
I dont see where that would be an issue.
i hardly see where the cable from the mixer to the sound card needs to be a balanced signal.....Am I missing something?:confused:
if I am please educate me?

No, it's not a huge issue. You won't pick up much noise in a few feet. I wouldn't go 15, though. That's a bit much for an unbalanced run, IMHO, even at line level.

That said, having used one, I would not recommend the 1010LT. Now that I have more time under my belt with newer hardware, I'm shocked at how bad the old recordings sound. A few factors contribute to this, of course, including better mics, but the interface is a significant part of the sound difference. Even with everything else equal, signals just sound more detailed with any of my more modern hardware (M-Audio FW1814, Presonus FIREPOD, MOTU 8Pre).

Plus, it's PCI. Legacy parallel PCI is already becoming the bastard child of many PCI Express motherboard designs, using bridged designs that don't work as reliably for time-critical use such as audio recording. It has been omitted entirely from some motherboards. You'll be a lot happier in the long run going with something based on a modern bus architecture instead of a fossil.

Yeah, 15 ft seems a bit much. Will it be noticeable over balanced? Who knows. Well, you can compare it to the xlr's which are balanced but if you don't have balanced outs to start with from your mixer (or other equipment), it's obviously not a big deal. I think i read that an unbalanced signal has like .5db more noise over balananced on a regular cable run, i could be totally wrong on that, that's what i remember.

As for it being dated. It is OLD. Espeically now that the audio world moves so quickly. However, it's $200. I don't have experience with better at my own studio but i have been in sessions with a vocalist i work with using many different types of interfaces. With similar mics and a nicer interface, it wasn't convincing to me. However, their is obviously better things out their and won't deny that ever. For the money, i can't think of any though.

No, it's not a huge issue. You won't pick up much noise in a few feet. I wouldn't go 15, though. That's a bit much for an unbalanced run, IMHO, even at line level.

That said, having used one, I would not recommend the 1010LT. Now that I have more time under my belt with newer hardware, I'm shocked at how bad the old recordings sound. A few factors contribute to this, of course, including better mics, but the interface is a significant part of the sound difference. Even with everything else equal, signals just sound more detailed with any of my more modern hardware (M-Audio FW1814, Presonus FIREPOD, MOTU 8Pre).

Plus, it's PCI. Legacy parallel PCI is already becoming the bastard child of many PCI Express motherboard designs, using bridged designs that don't work as reliably for time-critical use such as audio recording. It has been omitted entirely from some motherboards. You'll be a lot happier in the long run going with something based on a modern bus architecture instead of a fossil.

Yeah, 15 ft seems a bit much. Will it be noticeable over balanced? Who knows. Well, you can compare it to the xlr's which are balanced but if you don't have balanced outs to start with from your mixer (or other equipment), it's obviously not a big deal. I think i read that an unbalanced signal has like .5db more noise over balananced on a regular cable run, i could be totally wrong on that, that's what i remember.

As for it being dated. It is OLD. Espeically now that the audio world moves so quickly. However, it's $200. I don't have experience with better at my own studio but i have been in sessions with a vocalist i work with using many different types of interfaces. With similar mics and a nicer interface, it wasn't convincing to me. However, their is obviously better things out their and won't deny that ever. For the money, i can't think of any though.
Firewire is faster but I hadly see how the signal would be any cleaner

the Delta 1010 may be a fossil as you put it but there has been a whole lot of positive feed back on it from other forums not to mention it would cost me a small fortune to be able to record 10 tracks simontaneously with fire wire system,not to mention I would have to reconfigure my whole setup plus this fossil also has other features that would not be avalable on a fire pod that I could actually afford, not to mention the M Audio is more compatable with myallen & Heath mixing console than a firepod.
I probably will not use more than a 5 foot span making my connection but I can guarantee you that there is no noticable audiable difference between a 6 foot unbalanced cable and a 20 foot unbalanced cable.
there are too many people doing double blind tests who say they can hear no audiable difference.
i personally believe that you cannot audiably hear a difference betwen a short unbalanced line verses a short balanced line that is JMO though I don't have any technical data to support my opinion that is why it is only my opinion and not a fact.
if someone would like to post some clips with the EQ set flat on both signals to convince me otherwise please feel free to do so.

Thanks for all of the feed back and the other suggestions but I think I am going with the Delta 1010 fossil:cool:

Thanks for all of the feed back and the other suggestions but I think I am going with the Delta 1010 fossil:cool:
The LT/non LT difference is not an unbalanced/balanced issue.

It's about exposing the analog signal to the noise inside your PC.

This may or may not be an issue.

The issue for me was more the draw for my cats to play with all those dangling cables. :D

The converters on the rack mount model are inside the rack box. So the only signals that travel through the PCI card are digital.

The LT/non LT difference is not an unbalanced/balanced issue.

It's about exposing the analog signal to the noise inside your PC.

This may or may not be an issue.

The issue for me was more the draw for my cats to play with all those dangling cables. :D

The converters on the rack mount model are inside the rack box. So the only signals that travel through the PCI card are digital.

ya that is a non issue:cool:

Firewire is faster but I hadly see how the signal would be any cleaner

The connection has nothing to do with the signal. However FireWire designs are generally newer designs than PCI designs, so they tend to have newer DAC designs, and their analog sections often meet tighter tolerances. The quality of computer audio gear has steadily improved, and the older designs just don't have the same quality as newer designs.

the Delta 1010 may be a fossil as you put it but there has been a whole lot of positive feed back on it from other forums not to mention it would cost me a small fortune to be able to record 10 tracks simontaneously with fire wire system...

You're kidding, right? The FIREPOD ($400) does everything the Delta 1010 does except word clock. If you're using anything decent as a clock source via word clock, you're up in the dollar range where complaining about the cost of an interface is almost silly.

Besides, the 1010 and the 1010LT are NOT the same hardware. The 1010LT is a significantly cost-reduced version of the 1010. Among other things, the 1010LT features about forty or fifty electrolytic capacitors all over the board. Yum.

Finally, the Delta 1010 cannot record 10 channels of audio simultaneously by itself. It can record eight. If you add an external preamp with S/PDIF capabilities (these start just shy of $300).

I probably will not use more than a 5 foot span making my connection but I can guarantee you that there is no noticable audiable difference between a 6 foot unbalanced cable and a 20 foot unbalanced cable.

Depends on the cable and the electrical noise in your environment. In an audio booth next to a light booth, you don't run unbalanced two feet, much less 20. If you do, you'll hum like a harmonica.

P.S. the electrical noise in many computers can be a problem. I had lots of problems with computer-generated electrical noise on the output side of my Delta 1010LT, and that's one of the reasons I sold it. It does not have adequate electrical isolation from noise on the power rails, and if your computer's power supply has any number of design defects (which are a lot more common than you might think), you, too, can hear weird electrical chirps. There are very good reasons to move the converters the hell out of the computer, and IMHO, anything with converters inside the computer's case is not a professional interface by any stretch of the imagination.

If you're spending the kind of money that an A&H Mixer costs, you should find the extra money to not buy a junk audio card, and IMHO, the 1010LT is junk in every sense of the word. Its drivers are buggy on the Mac and it isn't supported in Vista at all, it is not electrically isolated from noise sources inside your computer, it doesn't record with nearly the quality of modern converters, its built-in preamps are utter crap....

But if you've already made up your minds based on a bunch of reviews, go ahead. When people in here say pretty much the opposite of what those reviews say, though, you might do well to listen.

P.S. Musician's Friend does not publish bad reviews as far as I can tell. I've submitted several, and I haven't seen one yet.

Back