Looking for alternative OS

revnice1

I'm having a lot of trouble installing Win 7 on Asus Z390-E. I spent about a month on 10 and I got errors all day long! This was typical:

I want to do this
You can't do that but this will fix everything, would you like to do this?
OK
Error, file not found

Then I discovered that the fixes on the web didn't work - or an option referred to, didn't exist on the exact same version of 10!

Win 7 processes running: 45
Win 10 processes running :250!

I've just bought a stronger horse and now it's forced to pull 10 times the load.

The problem with switching to UNIX of any flavor is I know nothing. I don't know any of the terms, I don't know if I can run any of the progs and plugs I'm used to, I've heard there's little in the way of support and documentation. All the above are serious and could be show stoppers at a critical time. Anyone in the same boat? Got any ideas, feedback?

Thanks - rev

I know it doesn't help you for me to say that I switched from win7 top win10 with no real issues. And.....most everything I used for music.....Reaper and it's files.....and the drivers for my AI......etc...etc....all copied over just fine. After removing the "garbage" that came with the win10 computer........performance has been pretty much perfect.

Loading win7 on a computer that had win10 can be extremely tricky of course......and that's probably what you're experiencing. Many if not most here have switched to win10. In all honesty.........I think it might be better to work with those here to solve your issues with win10 than to try to learn a whole new OS....no matter what it is.

I've got an old laptop that I'm planning to convert to Win10. The FIRST thing that I did was to order a new hard drive. SECOND - make an image backup of the original drive. I'll restore the image on the new drive and do the Win 10 conversion. If I run into a problem, I've got both the original drive and an image of the drive.

I converted my old Dell desktop computer to Win10 and it worked fine.

If you have the original Win7 installation disc, I would do a clean install. THEN do the Win10 conversion. I did run into some things that won't run in 10 that would still run in 7. You may have some of those applications on your system.

As for Linux, I've played with it but there are a lot of programs that I use that aren't available in Linux, and I don't want to run them in a Windows VM. My brother run Mint and Ubuntu on his machines.

The manual .pdf for that MOBO only lists W10 64 as the OS and so* I would suggest that the chipset is optimized for Ten and you will forever have trouble with an older OS.
I also seriously endorse the idea of a new (or fomatted old) hard drive. I assume the OS and DAW is going on an SSD? W10 expects an SSD and I have read that spinners will not give optimum performance.

Last year I bought this modest i7 Lenovo T510 just for internet and 'office' work in W10. I did not expect to use it for audio (I only mess with stuff these days anyway) because I have bigger and better W7 machines but it has worked fine for my limited needs (managed to find a free Samplitude..NOT a crack!)

*I am NO PC guru! But I read a lot.

Dave.

If you're doing a new build, and you're going to have the PC connected to the internet, the only version of Windows you should consider is 10. Windows 7 is end-of-life, so you can assume that eventually your computer will end up part of a botnet (which will be worse for your performance than any OS could be - and also means your hardware is contributing to global crime)

There are a lot of pros and cons to Linux
There is tons of documentation, but it's all user-generated, so it requires a lot more google-fu
Most of your windows tools and plugins can be made to run on *nix, but you have to get the WINE adapter tools working
There are free/open source alternatives to most of your favorite windows tools, but they usually have less-refined user interfaces

Just finished swapping a new 500GB HD into my old 2nd gen I3 2.3gHz Asus, and upgraded it to Win 10. Its not a lightning bolt, but I'm browsing the web right now with only one problem. The old Sonic Focus program isn't loading. That shouldn't be an issue, I'll probably just delete it anyway.

Everything else is still there, Reaper and Cubase LE fired right up. The only thing I had to do was to reauthenticate to the WiFi Router. Apparently the passcode didn't come through. Both Firefox and Chrome are running. Next step will be do kill of the old Win7 system files. Not needed anymore since I still have the old hard drive and an image on an external drive.

This machine is from 2011, and probably has a few more years in it strictly for browsing.

Back