Harrison Mixbus???

dybosphere

So, I've noticed the banner add here in the forums for a discount on the Harrison Mixbus software for the Home Recording forum:
Harrison Mixbus

Has anyone used this?

any thoughts, Pros / Cons?

Looks interesting, nice price point, but no demo. would like more info before considering it.

I was thinking the same thing! And, because it updates in the cart as 2 pieces, you can ditch the plugs if you want and only spend $49 on the whole shabang! Buying this tonight for sure.

I did a bunch of research just the other day when this DAW was mentioned elsewhere, and I really love the idea. It seems like the workflow is way simpler, and others say the saturation stages sound quite nice. For 49 bones, it's well worth the try.

I bought it on special about 6 months ago, I usually mix on a console but thought I would get the mixbus to try it out. I have spent a few hours on it (about a day in total over a few weeks) and it sounds and works great. I have a bit of a glitch on my computer where it slows the sound right down for a few seconds then fixes itself, but this will be a problem of mine I would think not the software, when I get a chance I will get on to it.

I think if you are used to mixing in the box you will be impressed by this software.

Alan.

I bought it on special about 6 months ago, I usually mix on a console but thought I would get the mixbus to try it out. I have spent a few hours on it (about a day in total over a few weeks) and it sounds and works great. I have a bit of a glitch on my computer where it slows the sound right down for a few seconds then fixes itself, but this will be a problem of mine I would think not the software, when I get a chance I will get on to it.

I think if you are used to mixing in the box you will be impressed by this software.

Alan.

The console feel is what I'm really hoping for. I've never mixed on a console, but I'm tired of having to click all over the dang screen just to get another db of GR on a compressor or something. This software seems pretty slick. I'm wondering if 8 busses will be enough though.. I tend to use a ton of em in Cubase

The console feel is what I'm really hoping for. I've never mixed on a console, but I'm tired of having to click all over the dang screen just to get another db of GR on a compressor or something. This software seems pretty slick. I'm wondering if 8 busses will be enough though.. I tend to use a ton of em in Cubase

How come you never gave Reason a try? Too expensive?

I like this because I can use Reason on my powerful laptop and this on my old PPC. :)

How come you never gave Reason a try? Too expensive?

I like this because I can use Reason on my powerful laptop and this on my old PPC. :)

You know, Reason does look nice, but it seems a bit over the top for me..

When you say old PC, mind outlining the specs? I'd like to run mixbus on a machine that's dual-core, and only 2 gigs of ram. Will it be alright you think?

You know, Reason does look nice, but it seems a bit over the top for me..

When you say old PC, mind outlining the specs? I'd like to run mixbus on a machine that's dual-core, and only 2 gigs of ram. Will it be alright you think?

It's a Power Mac G5. The processors ain't half bad compared to old Dual Cores but Apple just completely abandoned that architecture.

It's a dual processor at 1.8 GHz and 2 gb of RAM. I think your computer should be fine. This software doesn't seem too taxing.

Mixbus runs well on all levels of hardware. I run it on my netbook for demos, and on my 2008 dual-core iMac for our YouTube video demos. It's also ultra-compatible with the major operating systems (Windows, Mac, Linux).

Tim Hall
Harrison Consoles

We have a YouTube Channel with tons of feature and tutorial videos :)

I made a playlist with all of the videos we've made:

Harrison Mixbus Videos

Let me know if you guys have any more Qs!

Tim Hall
Harrison Consoles

I'd first like to say you're awesome for creating what you did. I haven't really played with it, but from what I see and have played with it very little, it's awesome.

I have a question. The system requirements aren't really specific. It just says two cores. Well, a two-core i5 is certainly a world of difference compared to the beginning of the CoreDuo line.

I have a Dual Processor PPC G5 @ 1.8 ghz with 4 Gb of RAM. How will that handle this software?

I'd first like to say you're awesome for creating what you did. I haven't really played with it, but from what I see and have played with it very little, it's awesome.

Thanks! :cool:

I have a Dual Processor PPC G5 @ 1.8 ghz with 4 Gb of RAM. How will that handle this software?

Your PPC should handle it well. We have a lot of users running Mixbus on older machines.

I run Mixbus on my netbook for demos, and it has a 1GHz AMD dual core processor with 2GB of RAM.

Hi Tim,

Welcome to HR!

I'm using Mixbus (under Linux), and have also been using Ardour for a number of years.

Where does Mixbus stand in development terms, in relation to the Ardour 3 engine?

Cheers! Paul

Hey Tim, thanks for taking some time to join us here on HR! It's so great to have such direct contact with a developer!

I bought Mixbus this morning and did my first mix on it. I think it sounds fantastic, and the work flow is way quicker than a typical Cubase mix for me. Great work with this! I'm looking forward to playing with it more and seeing if I can get a better handle on simple editing and so on. I watched the youtube vids and took notes, so next time I think i'll be all set.

Looks pretty good from the YouTube videos. Is there a trial version for it? Can't see it on the website.

*EDIT* Never mind, saw in the FAQ that there isn't. I might have a look at it in a later edition when there is midi/vsti support.

Hi Tim,

Welcome to HR!

I'm using Mixbus (under Linux), and have also been using Ardour for a number of years.

Where does Mixbus stand in development terms, in relation to the Ardour 3 engine?

Cheers! Paul

Thanks Paul!

We don't have an ETA on version 3 at this time. There are still a lot more things that need to be done on the Ardour side before we can make a move in that direction.

We are currently working on version 2.3, which will be a free update for all Mixbus v2 users. I'll pop in the forums and provide information as we release it :thumbs up:

-Tim

Hey Tim, thanks for taking some time to join us here on HR! It's so great to have such direct contact with a developer!

I bought Mixbus this morning and did my first mix on it. I think it sounds fantastic, and the work flow is way quicker than a typical Cubase mix for me. Great work with this! I'm looking forward to playing with it more and seeing if I can get a better handle on simple editing and so on. I watched the youtube vids and took notes, so next time I think i'll be all set.

Not a problem! Glad to be a part of the community; and thanks for the feedback on Mixbus!

It's good to hear that those videos are a big help. The Region Editing video will help you learn a lot of the editing features: Pro Tips - Region Editing and Crossfades in Mixbus - YouTube

-Tim

One thing I forgot to mention before was how many formats the mix bus can open, the fact it can open Broadcast wav is a bonus for me as my recorders record in B-wav. For those that don't know, broadcast wav is wav that has a time stamp embedded in the file, so when you open the track it is automatically placed in the correct time place in the song. Therefore the wav files do not have to all start from 0 seconds to be aligned as they will appear in the correct place.

Alan.

One thing I forgot to mention before was how many formats the mix bus can open, the fact it can open Broadcast wav is a bonus for me as my recorders record in B-wav. For those that don't know, broadcast wav is wav that has a time stamp embedded in the file, so when you open the track it is automatically placed in the correct time place in the song. Therefore the wav files do not have to all start from 0 seconds to be aligned as they will appear in the correct place.

Thanks for posting this tip for everyone! :thumbs up:

You can also consolidate and export all of the tracks from your DAW starting at 00:00:00 to ensure automatic alignment. We recently demonstrated how to do this in Pro Tools: Pro Tips - Exporting Audio From Pro Tools - YouTube

-Tim

Back