External Hard Drives

DREAMLABS

Okay dudes, I'm looking to purchse an external hard drive to store all my Cubase files. I'm leaning towards a 120gb drive, nothing overly large.

However I've heard good and bad about certain brands, so I'm wondering what brands you guys have had success with.

I'm looking at the big three so far, Western Digital, Seagate and Maxtor. What do you guys recommend?

DREAMLABS said:
Okay dudes, I'm looking to purchse an external hard drive to store all my Cubase files. I'm leaning towards a 120gb drive, nothing overly large.

However I've heard good and bad about certain brands, so I'm wondering what brands you guys have had success with.

I'm looking at the big three so far, Western Digital, Seagate and Maxtor. What do you guys recommend?

I would avoid Maxtor's enclosures. Their drives are fine, but I seem to recall them doing something really nasty between some of their cases and drives to emulate LBA48 on an otherwise LBA48-broken version of a FireWire-ATA bridge.... I don't recall what.

In fact, I'd go so far as to recommend buying a case and a bare drive and building it yourself. Any time a hard drive vendor builds a case, you run the risk that they will have only tested the case with their particular drive. If the drive ever dies, you run the risk that the case will also be a boat anchor. Buying them separately, that's not likely.

It's also cheaper to buy them separately. :)

Back