cabling question

dayexday

Hello,

My soundcard has RCA outputs and my monitors have 1/4 inch outputs. I need maybe a 6-10 foot cable. My monitors have balanced outputs but the soundcard with the RCA of course is unbalanced

Which option do you think will maintain higher audio quality?

1. cable with male RCA on one end and male 1/4 inch on other end
2. cable with 1/4 inch male on both ends and then 1/4inch/RCA adapter to connect to soundcard
3. It makes no difference so I should just go with cheapest, most convenient setup.

Thanks.

Hello,

My soundcard has RCA outputs and my monitors have 1/4 inch outputs. I need maybe a 6-10 foot cable. My monitors have balanced outputs but the soundcard with the RCA of course is unbalanced

Which option do you think will maintain higher audio quality?

2. cable with 1/4 inch male on both ends and then 1/4inch/RCA adapter to connect to soundcard
3. It makes no difference so I should just go with cheapest, most convenient setup.

Thanks.

I assume you mean balanced inputs? In this case, I hope they have an automatic override feature that accepts unbalanced inputs, otherwise they won't accept your signal. What card do you have thats giving you RCA outputs?

I would choose option 1, as that involves the least electrical components. In reality, it wont make a big difference, but buying all the components and soldering it yourself will be better than relying on mass made connectors to move the signal around. Either that or find a pre-manufactured RCA --> 1/4" cable. At least, thats my advice

so its a delta audiophile with RCA outputs to monitors with 1/4" inputs. Needed chord length is about 7-10 feet.

So which of the three?

so its a delta audiophile with RCA outputs to monitors with 1/4" inputs. Needed chord length is about 7-10 feet.

So which of the three?
That's the one. Make sure it is a 1/4 inch TS (tip-sleeve) rather than the TRS plug as TRS is used with stereo or balanced cables which in this case does not apply.

The adapter wouldn't do diddly to improve the sound quality. Your signal chain is unbalanced and that's the single most important factor here. In fact, adding an adapter to the mix may degrade signal even more.

Well... a better shielded cable may provide cleaner signal quality, but overall that's a compromised signal chain with the unbalanced connections anyway, so whatever works.

If you really want to improve the sound quality, upgrade your soundcard. (I know, I love to state the obvious :D )

Back