2 Audio interfaces, 1 computer?

chrisweign

ok so me and my friend are combinding studio equiptment, and this means we will have 2 mixers, two audio interfaces, and 1 computer. also mics,cables etc. but we were thinking of, when micing drums, run all the toms and bass drum through one mixer, and overheads, and snare through the other one, then we were going to plug the main out of the mixers into its own audio interface, then both into the computer via 2 usb ports. will this work? if so, will we get two sepreat tracks from them? 1 track for each audio interface?

thanks

What audio interfaces?

Sometimes this can work and sometimes it doesn't.

I have had luck with using multiple M-Audio delta cards but I don't think 2 different brands of cards would work well together. You might end up with latency issues.

I've had luck doing it on a Mac (as an aggregate device) with interfaces from different manufacturers, but the only way it really works for me is by using an external word clock to keep them both in synch.

Im guessing each interface only has one mic slot? man that sucks..
Anyway, yes this should work, you just have to make sure they are in sync!

Also, i think you might want to run everything into the one mixer and take out on the left and right channels so your recording is in stereo! this way you can pan your overheads well and get a better mix!
It really depends tho on how you want to record the drums i guess.. goodluck!

The problem is finding a DAW that will support your 2 different interfaces. Unless you buy the same interface (x2), unsure it's possible. I'd just go with TimOBrien's suggestion and save up to buy a better one with more ins/outs.

Computers can only support 1 ASIO device, thats just the way it is unfortunatly.

There also may be an issue with them being the same device.

And then, even if you do get them running together, i think you may run into sync issues, you run a high risk of the 2 interfaces going out of phase with each other.

As already suggested, i'd upgrade your interface, it'll save you a lot of messing around.

thanks everyone. I will see if it works and report back, but i agree with TimObrian, i will eventully get a better interface with more in/outs

Back