Windex on pinch roller ??

cjacek

Analogue Enthusiast
I know alcohol is out but is windex ok to use on the rubber pinch roller if one doesn't have Caig rubber cleaner ? (Not yet at least ;) ).

A big THANKS in advance!

Daniel :)

I would think the ammonia in Windex could dry-out the rubber too... which is the whole reason for not using isopropyl alcohol in the first place.... why not just leave it until you get the right compound?

Blue Bear Sound said:
I would think the ammonia in Windex could dry-out the rubber too... which is the whole reason for not using isopropyl alcohol in the first place.... why not just leave it until you get the right compound?

Alright, I'll wait 'till I get me the right stuff ... THANKS! :)

Daniel

Daniel... by any chance are you one of those "Monica Gellart" (Friends) type of people that can't sleep at night if there's a dirty dish in the sink, a spot on a window, or a few tape particles on a pinch roller??? :eek:

:D :D

Blue Bear Sound said:
Daniel... by any chance are you one of those "Monica Gellart" (Friends) type of people that can't sleep at night if there's a dirty dish in the sink, a spot on a window, or a few tape particles on a pinch roller??? :eek:

:D :D

Yup ... ;)

Daniel, if the pinch-roller comes off the Akai, check for small cracks as these usually are hard and cracked.
Because of the auto-reverse function the pinch-roller must be in top condition and capstan-axel clean, otherwise the tape will start wander off in reverse mode. :cool:

Vintage TX said:
Daniel, if the pinch-roller comes off the Akai, check for small cracks as these usually are hard and cracked.
Because of the auto-reverse function the pinch-roller must be in top condition and capstan-axel clean, otherwise the tape will start wander off in reverse mode. :cool:

Hi Rolf,

The pinch roller wasn't cracked but was VERY dirty with oxide. I cleaned it with some soap and water, took me 15 minutes! :eek: It looks 95% new now. The rubber is kinda hard though but perhaps it should be ? :confused:

Thanks!

Daniel

Back