What type of Cassette Tapes??

studiodrum

Hey guys,
I was just wondering, what type of cassettes are better quality for using in a Tascam 424mkII. TDK, SA60, AM60, or SM30. . .?

Any preferences????

Last edited:
I prefer the Maxell XLII series. It was the recommended tape for the portastudios and sound much clearer and rounder than TDK.

Buy only TDK!!!

studiodrum said:
Hey guys,
I was just wondering, what type of cassettes are better quality for using in a Tascam 424mkII. TDK, SA60, AM60, or SM30. . .?

Any preferences????

Apparently Maxell changed its XLII tape formulation to be different than what the TASCAM portas are/were set-up for. I'm not sure when this change took place but fact is that it's not the same tape. Personally I have experienced nothing but severe dropouts and oxide shed from the "new" XLII tapes. Changed over to the TDK SA-60's and I'm very happy. I'd recommend the TDK SA tapes as these haven't changed in ages and the TASCAMs are set-up for it. Buy 60's or shorter.

Daniel

I've used TDK SA60 and later SM60 in all three of the portastudios I've owned since about 1981 -- Tascam 144, 244 and 246. I've tried every brand and type under the Sun, but have always come back to TDK.

TDK has the most consistent, lowest dropout performance of anything I've tried.

SA/SM 60 and 30 minute tapes are the same thickness, so there is no difference in the performance. It all depends on the recording time you need.

SA90 and longer uses thinner tape and is not recommended.

:cool:

Is the longer (and thinner) tape nnot recomended because of a noticable decrease in quality or its increased fragility?

MURDOCKS said:
Is the longer (and thinner) tape nnot recomended because of a noticable decrease in quality or its increased fragility?

Increased print through and decreased resistance to stretching.

:cool:

Back