Using an 8 channel Mic Pre as a mixer?

Rickson Gracie

i am experimenting with setup a that I can use a Digi002R and pro tools as a Mixdown mixer by feeding the 8 outs of the TASCAM TSR8 directly into the Digi002R. So far so good BUT...

Can I just get an 8 channel Microphone Pre and use that as a front end mixer going straight into the TSR8? I guess I would adjustthe levels with the gain control?

This would save me much needed space.

If this is possible can anyone suggest good one? Maybe $500 range?

I've got a listing on Ebay for a Studio Projects SP828 right now. It's an 8ch mic pre that also feeds a 2-buss output. Besides the mic pre gain, there is a pan knob and a knob to control the level sent to the two buss on each channel, along with phase reverse too. It would make a great summing mixer. I've almost decided against selling it so I could use it that way, but I need the cash for other gear.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=130233789293&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT&ih=003

Sorry for the spam, but it might be right for you.

The kind of gear leddy is selling is what you want as if you have just a basic straight pre you'll have no way to monitor your mix.

There are others as well...Tascam MX-80's work too, and go for much cheaper. You'd need a simple headphone amp to monitor via headphones. The SP828 is a nice unit though.

Back