tube 4 trk recorder motor issue vs. mic pre

moogmymellotron

hey guys

i had a few questions regarding a bit of kit i acquired from a fellow musician. its a european tube based 4 track recorder made by Truvox, a consumer home model.

the unit is in really good cosmetic condition and i felt a lilttle obligated to get it running. The unit powers up, tubes glow, passes audio and records fine the heads have very minimal wear all rubber in good shape. the issue w it however lies in the power tranny. changing its voltage input steps down the tranny BUT the motors do not run at their appropriate speed. hitting play the machine gradually speeds up to speed, ff starts off slow and rwd is pretty bad. i recapped the run capacitors a few weeks back and just kind of forgot about it until now. im assuming its the 50-60hz conversion thats bugging out the machine??? since i left the machine to run at 220 and use an external step down tranny w the unit and performance was definately enhanced though a few issues still remained ( need to replace the start cap)

any advice would be great regarding that...BUT

ive aslo been thinking about turning the recorder in a tube mic pre. i feel that would be easier for me to do since i understand the circuitry for that better than i get trying to suss out a possible motor issue.

your opinions, advice, all appreciated. thanks.

It's probably an AC based recorder so the speed is governed by the wall outlet's frequency, which means that if it runs on 50 Hz (and there's no ability to change it inside the recorder) then if you run it on 60 Hz (off the outlet) then the speed is going to be different. As you know, your external voltage transformer only changes the voltage but not Hz. To sum, yes, it's def the 50-60 Hz thing that's bugging the machine. I guess it would be possible to rewire the power supply insider the recorder but that's not my area of knowledge. Another option would be to use it "as is" and accept the speed issue, if that doesn't bother you.

Back