TSR-8 MRL tape

You want the IEC equalization.

I'm not completely up-to-date on the subject (then again, what does "up-to-date" even mean in connection with reel-to-reel tape decks?), but I am under the impression the best choice for that deck is the 31J229 - 250 nWb/m, rather than 355, i.e. with 456 levels, rather than GP9 or other +9 tapes.

You no doubt already have it, but the best source for product info is:
MRL Calibration Tapes

This isn't "official advice", just my personal experience.

I bought the 355 nW/m IEC MRL tape for my Tascam 48 and set up the deck for 0VU @ 355nW/m. It somewhat eliminates a section of my dynamic range but that's fine for what I'm doing.

You can always get the 355 tape and set up the deck for +3VU @ 355nW/m, to set your deck up for +3 operation as recommended by Tascam.

I have read my manual a little bit and found that they actually give a part number for the tape. TEAC-YTT-11442 And it does say IEC. I could have sworn I saw a link on one of those sites where you can enter the old part number and they will give you the new part number...

Are you saying that because you set your recorder to 0VU with the MRL tape that is why you think you lost some of your dynamic range? Or something else? I was planning on setting mine at +3 or +6 possibly.

Back