Teac model 2a & teac 4 track 2340sx hook up help?????

Rockabilly Guy

Hi all,
been away for a while & now nearly good to go with studio Hopefully!
I'm trying to hook up the above equipment & in the manual it says set the input sensitivity selectors to -10 on the teac A2 mixers MB20 meter bridge, but, this is for the 3300sx reel to reel & not the 2340sx which i own whose inputs are stated at -8??????????????

So use the trim and recording level knobs to calibrate it.

The Models 2 & 2A have no trim controls on them. Assuming your 3300 is calibrated properly, I'd use a 1kHz tone @ Ovu coming from the MB-20 as the "O" for the machine. If the machine runs out of headroom, back it off to -2. If you need more signal to the tape, bump it up to +2. No big deal.

BTW - the MB-20 is a very accurate metering device, far more so than the meters on any Tascam tape machine.

He's trying to hook up the 2340. I'm not familiar with that mixer, but if it's a switch (??) and the closest you're going to get is -10, you'll just have to work with it. If it's recording or playback levels you're worried about, I would just set it for -10 and just watch the levels on the 2340 and the mixer and compare them til you have an idea how to work them. I never realized that the 2340 was -8. Unless I just forgot. You can probably set it up for -10.

Thanks to you all so far for your input. I think as Steve M says i'm going to have to connect and go down the trial & error route. I'm using the 2340sx reel to reel manual & an excellent book called the multitrack primer made by teac, which has an excellent diagram of the whole connection process. It's the 2340sx manual that says the line inputs are -8 and the primer manual which mentions settings of -10 for a 3300sx, there are no settings for -8 on the MB20 at all! any more thoughts and contributions greatly accepted. It just go to show you can have all the reference material in the world but still have to go the trial & error route to solve a problem! :)

Back