Tascam ms 16 Ramsa wrt820 set up patchbay

AllenM

I'd like to introduce a patchbay into my set up. I have various outboard gear I'd like to hook up. I've been using a la4 compressor connected as an insert before hitting tape. But as I'm mixing I don't want to have to crawl behind the mixing board to plug stuff in. Once I'm done on tape I'd like to send my tracks to my interface.

My goal is to track on tape, mix using my outboard gear, and be able to send individual tracks out to my interface Or send protools to tape. I've looked up a how to guide online but I'm a bit confused.

My set up is:

Ramsa wrt820 20channel 8 buss mixer

Ta scam ms 16

8 in/out interface.

Outboard:
La4, dbx160, yamaha rev(stereo),mastering rev(stereo), graphic eq, Echoplex, gtr pedals. Teac 3340(delay).

Ramsa wrt820 has 8 group outs and a direct out on each channel. I may not want to purchase so many cables or patchbays but I was thinking I could basically use a patchbay just for "inserts" and maybe using another patchbay for fx sends.

Same thing...Output/Send and Input/Receive...though if you're going to manage them at the PB, you will have to normal them, since inserts are a signal loop. Normalling will keep the signal loop intact until you patch in some piece of gear, which breaks the normal.

I never bothered with inserts, and while I have them all wired at the PB...on the back of my console, they are disconnected, and I never use them.
If you wired them to the PB, then your channel signals are always going to go all the way out through the insert, to the PB and back to the console...even when you have no gear inserted.
I just didn't see the point of all that extra signal flow.

I simply use my channel Line inputs to insert gear.
On the PB...I already have the Line inputs for the console, because I need them anyway. If I want to insert something, I just do it there (at the PB).
Now, depending on the console, the inserts can be at a few different spots along the channel signal path...so doing it my way, the insert is always the start of the channel input, but I've never found that to be an issue.
I mean, if say, your insert comes post channel EQ...you can't insert and make that happen doing it my way. IOW, in that scenario, you could insert that comp after the EQ...whereas my way, it would come before...etc...but I just work around that. I can just as easily add an outboard EQ at the PB, before the comp, and still use my insert approach with the Line input.

That's the thing with PB...you can use them any way you like, which is why you don't really need to tie your inserts and run them at the PB.

Back