Tascam M308 or M312 Monitor Hook-up question

Ginazgifs

Hey Everybody!
Gotta a quick question. I have a M-312 with a pair of Powered Fostex Monitor, and a Headphone Amp (without foldback). I would like to hook up an additional smaller powered monitor, to be able to A/B my mixes on two different monitors.

So, I was wondering if anyone had any ideas or can offer any option for the best way to connect a second pair of monitors to the M312 and still keep the headphone amp connected.

Thanks guys.

The 300 series mixers offer only two separate monitor outs. One with 1/4" jacks @ 0db and a set of RCA jacks @-10db.

If you need three line level outs, you'll need to get a set of splitter adapters to accommodate all your monitoring devices. It's best to split the stronger 0db output 1/4" jacks as there's more signal there to divide up.

If your headphone amp has a headphone level input capability, then you could feed it signal from the mixer's headphone jack directly but be careful with the level you feed it as the mixer offers a 1.5 wpc output at this connection so keep the headphone level pot on the mixer at a nominal setting to prevent blowing out your headphone distribution amp. If your headphone distribution device doesn't offer this input compatibility, then feed it from the split signal described in the previous paragraph.

Cheers! :)

Thanks Mr. Ghost! sorry that it took me so long to respond. Unfortunately, my headphone amp doesn't have level input capabilities.

So, I think that the splitter adapter might be the better way to go~ or another option might be to just unplug the headphone adapter after tracking, and hookup the 2nd speaker when I'm ready to mix. But, I think it might be much more fun to have a way to switch between them ;)

can you maybe offer any ideas on what type or model of splitter might work, and where I can find something like that?

Also, while looking through the manual, unfortunately, I have came up with even more unanswered questions. If you can briefly tell me the functions of what some of these outputs, that would be really helpful to me.

I scanned a part of the manual that shows the output section of the mixer, and I made boxes around some of the inputs that I was unclear about. :eek:

From the manual diagram, it looks like:
BOX A, (1/4" jacks) would be hooked up to my POWER MONITORS,
BOX B, (1/4" jacks) would be hooked up to the HEADPHONE AMP.

But,What would you use BOX C (RCA Output L & R) and also BOX D (XLR Mono Out) which says 'Studio Monitor Playback System' Although. I'm not sure what that means. :confused:

Attachments

• 312_new.JPG
    312_new.JPG
    58.5 KB · Views: 103
Box C is the -10db RCA secondary monitor out which could be used to feed your second set of powered studio monitor speakers. I made reference to them in my first post. If you look closely at those jacks, you'll see that the letters "MON" are written in-between those jacks and those stand for monitor, just like the 0db, 1/4" jacks above them.

The diagram also makes reference to the AUX 1 & 2 outs which would provide mono cue output mixers suitable for use during overdubbing but this would require setting up a separate mix which is different in level then what you've got going on through the 100mm main channel faders on each track.

The long and short answer here is that the 300 series mixers offer many ways create mixes and sub mixes depending on what your needs are. In many situations a cue mix is necessary for performers who need to hear more and less of particular parts of the production in order to perform their part to their best ability so, setting up a cue mix through AUX 1 ~ 2 can accommodate two separate mixes to two different musicians at the same time provided you have enough outboard headphone amps to feed each player their own mix. As I said, you can make it complicated or as simple as your needs and imagination desire. Simply make up their mix from the AUX 1 & 2 knobs on each channel strip. To keep it simpler, you can also just create a main stereo mix which is built from the main channel faders and pan pots.

As for what adapter-splitter to use, that will depend on what kind of connectors your powered monitor speakers have on the back of them. The mixer's side of the adapter will be a 1/4" plug and the other side will be whatever the speaker's required jack is. Most music stores and places like Radio Shack sell them.

Oh!

And your box D is a mono out feed of the main stereo mix which can also be used to feed to an amp and speaker in the studio to allow the musicians in there to hear a quick mono mix of what you're doing in the control room, assuming you have a control room? :D

Again, the 300 series mixers offer a ton of routing and mixing possibilities. The fun is in mastering all of them. :)

Wow, wow, wow. . .Thanks so much for all that insight.
I have so many more questions, I don't know where to begin!

I never realized how many options that you have to create mixes and sub mixes with the 300 series mixer! I would actually like to keep things simple, and just use (BOX A) 1/4" Output jacks for my power monitors, and use (BOX C) RCA Outputs for my Headphone amp. BUT! I really!!!! like the idea of creating a cue mix, and using (BOX B) the AUX 1 & 2, 1/4" Output jacks for my headphone amp. So, that I have more control over what the musicians hear over the headphones! That is really cool.

So, if I connect (BOX B) Aux 1 & 2 Output jacks~ to the input of my headphone amp~ Would I then be able to control how much instrument is heard through the headphone amp, by using the AUX 1 and AUX 2 control knobs on the board? or is it a bit more complicated then that? :o

Also, what's the simplest or more straight forward way to control the mix levels, or volume when using BOX A, & BOX C ~ BOX B, I'm assuming that I would use the Aux 1 & 2 knobs. However, is there also a master level control for Aux 1&2, or no?

PS (sorry for all the elementary and dumb blonde questions~ I'm sure you have figured it out already. But, I got this mixer several months ago, and never had the opportunity to use it. So, now I'm making up for lost time) :p

Last edited:
The Ghost of FM said:
And your box D is a mono out feed of the main stereo mix which can also be used to feed to an amp and speaker in the studio to allow the musicians in there to hear a quick mono mix of what you're doing in the control room, assuming you have a control room? :D

Again, the 300 series mixers offer a ton of routing and mixing possibilities. The fun is in mastering all of them. :)
Ahhhhhhhhh, okay, now that makes sense. So, since (Box D) is a Mono Output, and only has one XLR jack, does that mean that you would only hook up a single powered speaker, in the control room for the musicians to hear a quick mix (assuming you have a control room, of course) and what controls the levels for (BOX D) Is it the BLUE MONO slider fader marked 'Mono' on the front of the board? :rolleyes:

So, if I connect (BOX B) Aux 1 & 2 Output jacks~ to the input of my headphone amp~ Would I then be able to control how much instrument is heard through the headphone amp, by using the AUX 1 and AUX 2 control knobs on the board? or is it a bit more complicated then that?
The short answer here is yes; use it just like how you described to create a mix that is tailored to the performer's mix needs to play their parts.

If you want to keep it even simpler, just use the AUX 1 jack and green level controls and split that output to the stereo inputs on your headphone amp unless that unit has a mono button which would put the same sound into both their ears.

The bonus to using this performer's cue mix out is that it will leave both monitor outs available to your two different sets of powered studio monitors and will save you the need of getting that splitter/adapter we were discussing previously.

And about you question about the blue colored fader, that indeed controls the level to that balanced XLR output jack on the back panel.

Also, what's the simplest or more straight forward way to control the mix levels, or volume when using BOX A, & BOX C

Building a good mix isn't something I can readily describe in a line or two of text. That usually takes a good amount of trial and error mixed with personal taste, (if that's what your question was?)

~ BOX B, I'm assuming that I would use the Aux 1 & 2 knobs. However, is there also a master level control for Aux 1&2, or no?

Yes, the master level knobs for the AUX feeds control the over-all level of the sub-mix you created with all those green knobs on the channel strip.

I'm assuming by all of these questions that you don't posses the entire manual? If you had it, much of what I've described would be documented in there...TASCAM's parts department may still have available copies for sale for around 30 bucks so you may want to consider investing in one if you don't have that.

Helloooooooooooooooo

Mister Ghost,
sorry that its taken me so long to thank for your help! Well, everything seems to be working with hooking up the two monitors and the headphone amp so far. :D

Unfortunately, I'm only working with an incomplete manual. I have ordered one from Tascam, but apparently are on back order. However, some parts of the manual that I do have still read like greek to me. Your explanations are MUCH easier to understand, especially for a ditz like me. :p I should really just stick to play the piano & guitar, because I actually do that quite well. (or so I'm told)

But, I really do love recording in analog these days~ It's so much more fun than digital. for me anyway. Have a happy and Healthy Holiday! Thanks again for all your help.

Thanks for the holiday greeting and I wish the same to you and your family. ;)

As for how well or poorly the TASCAM manual are written, I'd say they do a pretty decent job, assuming you have a willingness to learn and put your brain in a 1980's time frame when those books and machines were created.

The best way to learn though is just to mess around with it and keep pushing buttons and twisting knobs until you get some sound. :D

The signal flow pictograph is the best page to keep handy. That shows you where everything flows and at what levels they work at. Once you have that mental picture in your brain of that map, the rest of it is dead easy. ;)

Back