Tascam on ebay

Good Friend

This really isnt much of a post, but i think the Tascam reel auctions on ebay are hilarious. There is always some story behind the machine like, the original owner only used it once, but then he decided to travel the world and the machine has sat unused since. And its in PERFECT condition except for somehow there is dust caked all over it and the headcover is missing. Oh yeah and it was recently checked out by a professional. No there is no comment on what actually functions and doesnt function, but at least you are supposed to feel better knowing that a professional "looked at it".

And the really funny ones are the ones that just say what machine it is, and a tiny little picture. No idea of what condition its in, nothing. Buy it now price 650 bucks for a Tascam 38.

If i ever sell my reel on ebay the buyer will get a full description of everything i know about the machine including up close shots of heads. Also, a detailed description of how the machine will be packaged to insure it arrives decently. To me part of the auction price is the guarantee that everything will be done to get the machine there unharmed.

Ive been on ebay since it started. And sellers are getting more and more lame and lazy each year.

You're right...

There is only a select few that really care about the product, from A - Z.

Good Friend said:
And the really funny ones are the ones that just say what machine it is, and a tiny little picture.

and the picture is of an upside-down MACSAT 8-track. :D

On the flip side a couple times I've seen a mint-condition, never or once-used, kept in an air-conditioned studio tascam 48 in the original box... for like 2 grand though.

I wonder how many of those NOS, MINT and boxed up "never used" units have or will develop solder joint problems. Ugh, seems like playing russian roulette with those things.

Are his listings hard on the eyes or is it just me? I damn near can’t get through them without getting a headache. I have to take a break midway or the room starts spinning. Eh, maybe I need a new monitor... I duno :D

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270116099631

He could probably save even more time by skipping all spaces and punctuation… just one long word. No, I feel carsick just thinking about it. :cool:

PLEASEASKANYANDALlQUESTIONsBEFOREYOUBIDIFYOUHAVELESSTHEN15FEEDBACKSYO
UWILLNEEDTOE-MAILMEBEFOREYOUBIDIFNOTYOURBIDMAYBECANCELLED>>>AFEWMAK
EITBADFORALL<<<UPFORYOURBIDCONSIDERATIONISAUSEDTASCAMMODELTSR-8MULTIT
RACKSERIESCAPSTANMOTORTHESEAREOVER$100.00FROMTHEFACTORYALSOINCLUDEDN
EWCAPSTANBELTANDPLUG-INSERVOPCBCONTROLCARDBEARINGSINEXCELLENTCONDITI
ONNONOISEWITHPLENTYOFTORQUENOTSUREWHATOTHERMODELSITWILLWORKONWILL
NOTBEDOABUTDUETOAGEWILLBESOLDASISWOULDMAKEAGREATSPARENOWTHESMALLS
TUFFPAYMENTMUSTBERECEIVEDWITHINFIVE(5)OFAUCTIONCLOSEPLEASEPLEASEDONOTB
IDONTHISITEMIFYOUCANNOTPAYWITHINFIVE(5)DAYSWHATISINTHEPHOTOISWHATYOUGE
TIfyouhavenegativefeedbackexcessivenegativecommentsorhiddenfeedbackdonotbidonthisitemWILLSHIPONlY
TOTHE48STATESNOEXCEPTIONSPLEASEDONOTASKUSTOUSEYOURSHIPPINGCOMPANYJUS
TTBECAUSEYOUHAVEANOPENACCOUNTWITHFEDEXDHLORUPSMusthaveacompletestreetaddress
SHIPPING&HANDlINGWILLBEAFLATRATEOF$8.50USPSPRIORITYMAILSERVICEWILLSHIPONL
YTOYOURSTREETLOCATIONNOCODORPOBOXIfyouneedadditionalPICSletmeknowWillacceptmoneyo
rdercashierscheckorPaypalPleasee-mailwithanyquestionsandthanksforlookingLONGLIVEANALOG

Yep... looks pretty much the same to me. Well I do have a very mild Dyslexia... maybe that's it. Great for reading license plates at a glance in one's rearview mirror. I was always good at that, and reverse engineering.

Last edited:
Beck said:
Are his listings hard on the eyes or is it just me? I damn near can’t get through them without getting a headache. I have to take a break midway or the room starts spinning. Eh, maybe I need a new monitor... I duno :D

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270116099631

He could probably save even more time by skipping all spaces and punctuation… just one long word. No, I feel carsick just thinking about it. :cool:

PLEASEASKANYANDALlQUESTIONsBEFOREYOUBIDIFYOUHAVELESSTHEN15FEEDBACKSYO
UWILLNEEDTOE-MAILMEBEFOREYOUBIDIFNOTYOURBIDMAYBECANCELLED>>>AFEWMAK
EITBADFORALL<<<UPFORYOURBIDCONSIDERATIONISAUSEDTASCAMMODELTSR-8MULTIT
RACKSERIESCAPSTANMOTORTHESEAREOVER$100.00FROMTHEFACTORYALSOINCLUDEDN
EWCAPSTANBELTANDPLUG-INSERVOPCBCONTROLCARDBEARINGSINEXCELLENTCONDITI
ONNONOISEWITHPLENTYOFTORQUENOTSUREWHATOTHERMODELSITWILLWORKONWILL
NOTBEDOABUTDUETOAGEWILLBESOLDASISWOULDMAKEAGREATSPARENOWTHESMALLS
TUFFPAYMENTMUSTBERECEIVEDWITHINFIVE(5)OFAUCTIONCLOSEPLEASEPLEASEDONOTB
IDONTHISITEMIFYOUCANNOTPAYWITHINFIVE(5)DAYSWHATISINTHEPHOTOISWHATYOUGE
TIfyouhavenegativefeedbackexcessivenegativecommentsorhiddenfeedbackdonotbidonthisitemWILLSHIPONlY
TOTHE48STATESNOEXCEPTIONSPLEASEDONOTASKUSTOUSEYOURSHIPPINGCOMPANYJUS
TTBECAUSEYOUHAVEANOPENACCOUNTWITHFEDEXDHLORUPSMusthaveacompletestreetaddress
SHIPPING&HANDlINGWILLBEAFLATRATEOF$8.50USPSPRIORITYMAILSERVICEWILLSHIPONL
YTOYOURSTREETLOCATIONNOCODORPOBOXIfyouneedadditionalPICSletmeknowWillacceptmoneyo
rdercashierscheckorPaypalPleasee-mailwithanyquestionsandthanksforlookingLONGLIVEANALOG

Yep... looks pretty much the same to me. Well I do have a very mild Dyslexia... maybe that's it. Great for reading license plates at a glance in one's rearview mirror. I was always good at that, and reverse engineering.
This guy needs a good wack upside his head! :mad:

TSR 8 on Ebay...

Speaking of listings on Ebay...I just won an auction for a TSR 8...he said it was "Like New"...bought in '96...never recorded on it, just used for playing back music for school presentations.

Well, it just came in the mail, it certainly is clean but there was a medium crack in top left, the right spindle wobbles during playback and FF/RW, then on rewind it slows to a crawl and just stops rewinding all together (and no, not because it's zeroing out)

I suppose these malfunctions could have come from shipping (although it was packed nice)

I was testing it with tape he gave me (457 with SMPTE recorded onto track 8) ... could be bad sticky tape, all tracks record fine, but this thing has issues.

Do you guys have any advice on who I could get to fix it/check it out/get it running tip top? I live in San Diego. Thank you very much for any advice you might have, I am new to this forum but have been reading your posts for awhile...much respect.

Thank you.
Peter

Peter,

You should work with the seller to make a proper shipping damage claim (hopefully yours was insured). Unfortunately, from what you describle, your machine was damaged during shipping, as the result of insufficient packing. Idiot sellers who can't pack are all too common. I suggest you always look for something local and avoid shipping. The wobbling reel table may only be the beginning. You may have internal damage, including fractured PCBs and the like ... I personally would do everything to get reimbursed and then forget about it and move on. Hold on to the original packing material and the recorder as you will mostly likely have to present it to the shipping company in question.

Please read this: https://homerecording.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=229729&highlight=packing

~Daniel

Back