Tascam 688 tape question

Jmackenzie

I am trying to repair my old Tascam 688, but am awaiting result of biddiing on ebay for some TDK SA 90's. That is what I always used, many years ago. I don't have any new ones to use for testing the machine until they arrive. Can I use type I tapes, simply to check machine functions. They do play and wind OK. I am not bothered about audio quality for this at the moment. The tabs seem to operate the microswitches ok, but not sure if other issues come into play doing this?

There is nothing functionally or mechanically wrong with using normal bias type I tapes in any of our cassette multitrack machines. There will be a difference in audio quality simply because your machine’s bias level was pre-set for Cr02 tape at the factory. So, no problem using those type I tapes for what you are doing. The only caveat to this, and this goes for *any* tape type, is to avoid using extended length tapes like 110 minute or 120 minute...I even avoided using the 90 minute tapes but I think they are fine. The reason is in order to pack more time into that cassette shell the longer length tapes used thinner tape stock, and that can be problematic with the multitrack cassette transports which were designed and setup for the standard tape thickness. Your 688 manual specifically identifies C60 tapes.

Yes sweetbeats, I did use C60 tapes in the past, for the reasons you mention. They are very hard to find locally and also very expensive ! I have missed out on Ebay bidding for multipacks by not offering enough money. I don't want to buy a lot of them, as my machine might not even be repairable ! Thanks for reply. I thought these normal bias tapes would be ok for testing tape drive and other things, but just was not sure about microswitches on the deck. They do work without any need for tampering with switches.

Last edited:
Back