Tascam 488mkII Tape Head/Eraser Head will not retract

julianchang

Hi all,

I posted this on the TASCAM user forum as well...

I was wondering if anyone might know what can cause the tape head of the Tascam 488mkII to not retract?
Right now, I can fast-forward and rewind with no problem, but when I press STOP or PLAY or PAUSE... the machine slowly stops, I hear the motor try to move the tape head down, but it wouldn't. Then, the RECORD + STOP + PLAY leds all light up and start flashing. Even if I power off and power on the unit, the tape head is stuck on the "high" position.

Thanks in advance for any information you can share!

Julian

Head load and retract is a belt driven function.

So the educated guess is you'll have to open her up and refit or replace the belt. Replacing it is usually more prudent, even if it's appeared to slip off or be otherwise intact. When you make a visual inspection it should be fairly obvious.
:spank::eek:;)

Well, no.

The head load (control) belt is another belt entirely, being a somewhat smaller square-shaped belt, as opposed to the capstan belt which is a longer flat-shaped belt. However, when going in deep to replace the control belt, it would seem prudent to also replace the capstan belt while you're in there. The capstan belt would solve wowwing, slipping, and no-drive issues, which is seperate from the head load issue and control belt.

I'd recommend calling Tascam Parts and skipping the Ebay thing. Tascam will get you the proper belts the first time for reasonable cost. (323) 727-4840 from Monday through Friday, 8am-5pm Pacific Time.

A word to the wise,... is never needed.

Look for several screws on the bottom and one screw inside the cassette compartment, as well as numerous connecting cables that go between the bottom and top half,... when you take it apart. Replacing the belts may also require removing and/or partially disassembling the cassette mechanism, but it's been a long time for me to go off memory and you'll know more when you take a look yourself.

got the chance to open the unit last night! it looks like there's only one belt in the tascam 488mkii... the capstan belt. however, seems like the problem is caused by the cam control / arm assy area (see page 36, 37 of this service manual: http://slugbug.sound-club.org/information/Tascam 488 Mk1 Service Manual (PNG)/)

i just moved the gears in that area up and down a bit and it appears to fix the problem. then, i ran a test by setting the mkii on auto repeated play of about 10 seconds... after 20 minutes or so, the problem happened again. i wonder if i lubricate those gears would it help? if so, what brand/material do you recommend? or is the motor of the head control dying?

Sorry Dude, my mistake!

I have a 424mkIII and it also appears to be cam driven, as it's heads were also jammed the first day I got it delivered, used off Ebay. I should have put 2 and 2 together. The more vintage Porta's are belt driven heads, however the newer ones are obviously cam driven. Thanks for the info! Good luck.

Back