Tascam 38 Repro/Record Cards

Deaaaath

Hi,
How do I access the cards in the Tascam 38? I heard someone say they are in the bottom of the machine- should I take off the back cover?

You have to lay it on it's back and remove the bottom cover. After the cover is off there's a bar/bracket that you have to remove. 3 screws. Then gently wiggle the cards out. They may be a little rough coming out at first so you have to take your time with it.

It's possible but don't get your hopes up too high in case it doesn't. You might want to clean the connections too with some caigs de-oxit before you put them back. Just spray a little on all the contacts.

Last time I was in guitar center they had caigs cleaner otherwise Radio Shack might have tiny kits. Which kind of suck to buy because they ask too much. I'd try Guitar Center or another music or electronic store.

Thanks for the information so far! I've taken the bottom off successfully, but now I am a bit confused. Firstly, I am not seeing the panel with the three screws I need to remove. Secondly, I also realized I don't even know what these cards look like. I've uploaded a picture here in hopes of you being able to better describe what I should be looking to do here! Thanks!!!

bottomof38.jpg

Sorry man I forgot I was in this thread. You need remove that bracket there in the middle. Thats supporting all the cards going down. You may need to remove the back cover now that I'm seeing it again. I forgot the last two cards, for seven and eight are behind that stupid plastic at the bottom. But you can count the eight cards there. Each card lays the whole length across when you look at it you've pictured here. You need to get your fingers in there and wiggle them out after you remove that bracket. BUT!! I think you may have to remove the back cover to remove the bracket! Let me know.

I have to say the design to access the 38 is not an easy one. It's a pain in the ass every time you need to get in there. You see card ones through six from there but you may have to remove the back to get to seven and eight. :mad: Let me know.

Last edited:
Thanks!
I'll be working on it again tonight, so i'll let you know.
For my particular case, I am really only concerned with tracks two and three, so I have no need to access 7 and 8 really.

On my 48 the cards are laid out the same way, and like SteveM is saying you just need to get that cross-brace out. On the 48 the screw that holds the end of the brace that is at the rear of the deck is accessible only after removing a panel off the back of the deck. You'll probably have to do the same, but likely that is part and parcel to getting access to the cards for channels 7 and 8 anyway.

Just make sure you a calm and comforting and explain what you are doing before you take any more of your 38's garments off. :D:D:D:D:D:D

Yeah, I have to remove the back cover too. I think I'm gonna give up and bring this into a tech. I don't wanna start shooting myself in the foot with home repairs.

Sorry to hear that, though I support your comfort level. Have you ever added or taken a peripheral card out of a computer? Pulling and reinserting the cards in your atr is very very similar.

Deaath, it's not that hard to do if you're just going to pull them out and deox them. It'll save you money. It's just a pain because there so much to take off. It's up to you though I don't want to put you in with more than you want to deal with.

Back