Tascam 244 guys: control motor not spinning / heads won’t move

I pulled my 244 out the other day and after it destroyed a cassette, realized the heads were stuck and won’t drop in stop mode. I also noticed the control motor for the head assembly wasn't spinning when the machine is powered on. Belts have been replaced already. I pulled the belt off the control motor and tested the motor on a 9v battery and it spins fine...

So now I have this thing partially in pieces trying to trace things out and determine if it’s a problem on the control PCB maybe? I have a service manual. I’m trying to scope the outputs of U509 and U501 based on the circuit description, but I’m not sure if what I’m seeing is legit.

Anyone see this before? I’m asking around on several forums and I hate to be a pest but I just want to know if I’m looking in the right places.

I should recap this thing while it’s apart, too...

Ha... I found the problem.

There was a giant crack in the ground plane of the Drive PCB. This is the board inside the transport that the motor attaches to. I made a little bridge out of cut lead, and everything is back to normal.

Thanks Cory - I feel stupid too because I had the board out, thought I'd replace the giant caps while in there and didn't notice the yuge, gigantic crack... how could I have missed that... :D

You know....not for nothing......but the crack does seem to extend to the trace just above the one you put the jumper in. Looks like it’s not all the way through.....but could go further with very little effort. Have you thought about jumping that trace too just for insurance?

Thanks Cory - I feel stupid too because I had the board out, thought I'd replace the giant caps while in there and didn't notice the yuge, gigantic crack... how could I have missed that... :D

Nah no point in feeling stupid...boy the silly things I’ve done looking back...mistakes, oversights, carelessness...they each have taught me something, so it’s all for good, and the cool thing is you went back in, found it and knew how to fix it. *boom*

You know....not for nothing......but the crack does seem to extend to the trace just above the one you put the jumper in. Looks like it’s not all the way through.....but could go further with very little effort. Have you thought about jumping that trace too just for insurance?

Yes, I'm probably going to do the same there also and then epoxy the crack and the jumpers. Good catch!

Back