Tascam 244 convert to digital

peterman

I want to sell my 244 and upgrade to a digital recorder. How do I convert my master analogue tapes to digital so that I can retain my master tracks. I guess this must be a common question but I have been out of the technology loop for a while so please bear with me.
Rgds
Peter

You'll need a soundcard with 4 inputs, & software that will record 4-tracks simultaneously. Then, you cable from the 244's Tape Outs to the 4 soundcard inputs, and record away! :eek: ;)

A Reel Person said:
You'll need a soundcard with 4 inputs, & software that will record 4-tracks simultaneously. Then, you cable from the 244's Tape Outs to the 4 soundcard inputs, and record away! :eek: ;)
that's if he is 'upgrading' to some sort of computer-based system.
Peter, what do you exactly mean by 'upgrading to digital recorder'? Computer-based recording or some digital recording machine/workstation etc? Also what are your analog tape masters? are they two-track stereo recordings or 4-track (pre-mix) recordings. You may or may not need 4 anaog-inputs.... depends on what material do you want to 'convert' to digital.
If your 'masters' are two-track stereo, then you can record it to computer (must have soundcard with stereo analog IN and the quality of the card (A/D converter) may be the issue if you wish to 'digitize' your recording the best possible way, then you'll need to save your digital audio files or burn audio CDs on your computer (CD-R drive must have).... Of course you must also have software on your computer to do all this... Or you can get stand-alone CD-Recorder - record direct to CDs.
If you recordings are 4-track.... then it's gettting more complicated. You need to do similar thing but with all 4 tracks at the same time plus you need to store/save your recordings in some sort of file format so you can later work on it - so you need multi analog In/Out soundcard on your computer and multi-track recording software. (as A Reel Person said)...
Now, if you are getting some multi-track digital recording machine/workstation, then when you get it - you can record all you analog recordings direct to that system and then store/save your digital recordings using what ever back-up/store/save options your system has.... some have built in CD-R (most modern machines do nowdays) , some older can back-up on DATs (grrrrrrrrrr - real bad idea thou .... :p ).... or if you are getting digital tape multitrack ... then ...you get your digi-tapes ...ha ....well, they do get old much more uglier way than analog tapes do .......so it's no good way to store your platinum-recordings at all ;) (SAVE you old analg tapes somewhere too!)
If you need to sell your analog machine first before buying your digital system .... I guess then sound-card/save files/burn CD-R/audio CDs is the only option for you ....

/respects,
/

Try An Alesis Masterlink

Great, easy to use Machine, relatively inexpensive and is still the Nashville Mixdown/Mastering deck.

Tascam 244 conver to digital

Thanks fellas I think I have the answer from your info. Just to clarify I was proposing to purchase a digital multitrack and I guess I was going to sell my old analogue first to go towards the cost. From what you say it would make sense to wait until getting the new system and then record the old analogue tracks on to the new machine. Nb my master tapes are four separate tracks and if my memory is correct I can use four separate outputs from the 244 instead of the stereo line in/out. The only issue really then is even if I keep my master tapes they are recorded at a slower tape speed (according to the 244 design) and I wont ever be able to use them again as they won't work on a normal tape machine. Hence I want to get good quality digital masters because I' losing my originals if you follow me.
thanks for your help
Peter

Make absolutely sure that whatever digital workstation/digital Portastudio device you purchase has the ability to record 4 separate tracks simultaneously.

Many of the newest offerings from TASCAM, do not have this capability, allowing for only two tracks at a time so be very careful of this when choosing.

Cheers! :)

Back