Tascam 238 versus Godzilla

zorf

I'm curious about the 238 this week. ( my attention wanders )

If you recorded 8 tracks on this guy side by side with say, an 80-8,
would you notice much difference?

Double usual tape speed, which is half that of the 80-8
one half the tape width.

But much later technology.

Does the later tech equalize the other factors?

The idea of recording on a cassette is intriguing. If it is equal to say the 80-8,
that might be acceptable for some of my projects.

80-8 records 8 tracks across 1/2" tape at up to 15 IPS speed.. The 238 records 4 tracks across 1/8" tape at up to 3 3/4 IPS speed.

Magnetic recording is such that it relies on the movement of magnetic particles as a reflection of an audio signal. You can think of these tiny magnetic particles as pixels of a computer monitor. It would make sense that the more magnetic particles there are per inch or so, the more pixels, or "resolution" you will have when you play back your signal.

80-8 all the way. But then again, only your ears can make that decision. 238 is more modern, and you can get decent quality out of cassette decks with enough time and patience.

+1 to the bottom line being your ears, but, yeah, like Muck' said, the 238 is not half the speed and half the width, its 1/4. The 80-8 or any 1/2" 8-track is going to have 8x the "tape real estate" of the 238.

Just saw an 80-8 with matching DX-8 n/r unit, two reels of SM911 and original service and operations manual end with no bids at an opening bid of $299. There are some questions about its operation in my mind but the point is I've seen 238 decks going for that much, and the headstack for a 238 is outrageous. Much more portable of course and I'm not knocking the 238. An amazing unit for what it is and a band I was in back in the 90's used a 488mkII to do a full-length project and it came out sounding really good IMHO and I believe the transport is the same in the 238 and the 488. YMMV and all that, but the "potential" is greater with the 80-8.

My 2p.

yeah,

I meant to say 1/4 tape width. Just posted up quick on the way out the door.

Anyhow, the comments above confirm my instincts.

Sometimes, I've found stuff that is counter intuitive that is overlooked.
I was wondering if this was one of those situations.

There is just something humorous about using a cassette machine that
appeals to me.

If i ever stumble upon one cheap, i might drive it around the block.

There is nothing wrong with using a cassette for recording; just don't ever forget one thing.
Physics don't lie.

I agree, cassettes are a fun, quick medium to lay down tracks on; I still like them better for that than a cheap handheld digital device. More character. Having both that and reel-to-reel is enjoyable. Just don't confuse the two.

C.

Back