Studio monitor switching question

It's best to listen through one speaker for checking in mono. Maybe not so much for small speakers with no bass response, but with two speakers the lows sum better than the mids and highs so it skews the frequency balance in favor of the lf.

I guess I'd be surprised if a modern solid state amp had a problem with an open output. A tube amp would be different. Can someone confirm that leaving one output unconnected on the Alesis would be harmful, or is that just speculation?

Thanks for all the input y'all. I had originally intended on getting one Mixcube after reading Mixing Secrets for the Small Studio by Mike Senior, in which he suggests such a thing. And I was thinking I could get a passive one and save some money since I already had a power amp.

Beck: Of course you're right that I can hit mono and listen through the main monitors, but I wanted to have another set of speakers for reference.

Anyway, I ended up finding a pair of passive Mixcubes for the cost of one of them new, so I snagged them up. So I'll just use a speaker selector box with the RA-100, and I should be all set.

Good deal.

I'm still interested in what mixer you're using. I think I knew what you were using at one time, but forgot. There are a lot of ways to switch amps and speakers, depending on what you've got already.

Best to use a very basic switch box when switching between monitor pairs. And I mean basically a metal project box with a rotary switch. Not sure what the specs are of the one that was recommended, but looks like you should be ok if you use it with the bypass button on for only one set of speakers at a time. And while switching between speakers turn the RA100 off or make sure there's no music playing through it. But safest way for long healthy life of both amp and speakers is to turn amp off before switching.

Have fun! Let us know how it all works out! :)

It's best to listen through one speaker for checking in mono. Maybe not so much for small speakers with no bass response, but with two speakers the lows sum better than the mids and highs so it skews the frequency balance in favor of the lf.

Never been a fan of the single speaker mono check method, but if it works for someone... cool I guess.

I guess I'd be surprised if a modern solid state amp had a problem with an open output. A tube amp would be different. Can someone confirm that leaving one output unconnected on the Alesis would be harmful, or is that just speculation?

On another note the RA100 can be used one channel at a time if the volume for the unused channel is turned down and/or there's no signal at the amp input for the unused channel. Dummy load resistor would work too if you don't want to go to the trouble having so many steps just to check mono.

So yes, you can run the RA100 with an output open... if there's no signal running through it. Just turn the volume control knob for that channel to zero. I've got two RA100s and have run them all kinds of ways, but no bridging of course. They're not designed for that.

I'd be surprised if a modern solid state amp had a problem with an open output. A tube amp would be different. Can someone confirm that leaving one output unconnected on the Alesis would be harmful, or is that just speculation?
I personally wouldn't even stop to think. A modern solid-state amp will gladly drive an open circuit all day long.

Back