Studer A80 brake problem after cleaning

Maros

Hi guys,

I have a strange problem with right brake. I had to disassembly brake drum, because of cleaning reel motor bearing. When it was disassembled I cleaned metal brake belt with isopropylalcohol and also brake drum lining. I put it back and brake doesnt work properly - brake force is really small and similar to both sides. I tried it only by hand, because whole machine is in refurnished process....whats happend?

I did not move with any setting of the brake.

Do brakes need some time to "set up", or maybe some heat to develop adhesive functionality? Its my first Studer brake, but I was really careful and I hope that isopropyl is OK for that.

Important: Brake before cleaning process really worked! I also cleaned left brake and thats OK.

Thanks.
Maros

Last edited:
Looking at a picture of the transport, it looks like the brake spring has several holes to vary the amount of force as is done on the Revox machines. I caused myself a big problem on the B77 by putting the spring back in the wrong hole, so you might want to try adjusting that. Another usual culprit is finger grease on the brake drum or pad, but I'd have thought the isopropyl alcohol should have stopped that being an issue.

Looking at a picture of the transport, it looks like the brake spring has several holes to vary the amount of force as is done on the Revox machines. I caused myself a big problem on the B77 by putting the spring back in the wrong hole, so you might want to try adjusting that. Another usual culprit is finger grease on the brake drum or pad, but I'd have thought the isopropyl alcohol should have stopped that being an issue.

Yes, but I did not move with any spring and I really cleaned drum with isopropyl. Before my "stupid" brake disassembly and cleaning, it really works - braking force was so so much higher. But I have to disassemble because of bearing.

Maybe I should try acetone or soft sand paper?

OK - I answer by myself When isopropyl for 3 times cannot solve this problem I used simple warm water + dish soap + tooth brush + isopropyl. I had to repeat this sequence 3 times. After that brake works like a charm. 80p (~0.78N) in low force direction and around 800p (~7,8N) in high force direction.

If anybody had this problem dont be afraid use water + dish soap!

Heh, I was going to suggest washing-up liquid, that's pretty good at breaking down grease. Good to hear it worked!

Back