Ribbon Mics - Which One Then??!

super 8

Anybody got any thoughts on & recommendations as to what RIBBON mic I should buy? I recently had the good fortune to sing through an old RCA 44D & I tell ya - there's no going back! Well there is in reality I'm afraid - there's NO way I could ever afford (nor justify) a microphone of this calibre plus even if I could they're as rare as hens teeth around these parts! What I do know however is that I now definitely want a DECENT ribbon mic for vocal & acoustic recording duties in my home studio environment. I'm looking for that 'retro' vibe (a la sixties style sonics, Dylan, Byrds, etc) & was wondering what folks recommend. I don't have much money to throw at this but I do want a 'keeper' & I'm prepared to throw what little I do have at it plus sell a few things in order to get the right mic for me. Just to give you an idea I've been using a RODE NTK valve condenser which I used for all the vocals/acoustics on my last home produced album (visit: www.myspace.com/super8musicuk). It seemed to do an admirable job BUT I've got it into my head that the next albums are gonna feature a quality ribbon mic & the NTK can be used as my room mic (or even get sold to raise ribbon funds!) So .... anybody got any thoughts/recommendations then? Vintage or new? Large or small diaphragms? Perhaps the best of the bunch in each price bracket? All I can find to date is a small Reslo mic in a local pawn shop that I've heard aren't really that great (even though the guy wants 100 GBP and is trying to sell it as 'The original Beatles' Mic!' Any thoughts much appreciated. How best can I spend what little shekels I have on a microphone of calibre that's gonna last me a long time - no more swapping about? THANKS IN ADVANCE! TRiP

Oops!

Sorry, obviously picked the wrong forum category! Let's try that again shall we? I'm off to the 'Microphone Vault'. Ciao!

I've been wanting to try a ribbon mic. Never heard one. Let us know what you find. I know there are some not too expensive ones out there. Nady? Not sure how good they are.

Oktava ribbon mics (good ones...not fakes, that is) are $300 and over.
There's also very cheap Apex and Nady.
Never tried those.

I've once seen this one in use:
http://www.oktavausa.com/Graphics/53.jpg

ML-53 gives a very open and more natural sound comparing to the sterile Akg c3000b for instance. Those are $400 w/t shipping if you buy from an authorized distributor. ML-52 are a bit cheaper than that.

You've mentioned ribbon mics and now I want one! :rolleyes:

cjacek said:
His 44 recreations are almost twice what my entire studio cost! :eek:
the question is: why not creating instead of re-creating.
damn ugly logo :p
I DESPISE "recreators for cash"!

:D

Attachments

• disgrace.jpg
    disgrace.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 70
Wow! Fascinating Insights But ...

In a way it's made me EVEN more confused! As interesting as the above link to actually 'making your own ribbon mic' is I think I can rule that out as I'm not remotely technically minded! By the way, it's Trip here of the UK's SUPER 8 (www.myspace.com/super8musicuk). I'm the person responsible for starting this epic debate in the first place! Just to recap then: I'm wanting to buy a ribbon mic & I was asking people's advice on the matter. Since my original post I've now established a 'maximum amount I can afford to spend' &, prompted by further research a few more questions into the bargain I'm afraid! Namely:

1. The very maximum I can afford to spend is: 350 GBP (approx 720 USD).
Do I go all out on buying the most expensive ribbon mic I can afford on my budget OR do I get a cheaper one & get it 'customized'? I've read elsewhere that to power a ribbon mic you need a DECENT preamp. One article I read stated that the mic preamp I own (a TUBE MP line-in > BR1660CD portastudio) just isn't good enough. THIS IS CONFUSING! Does that mean that if I want to go down the ribbon mic route (as planned!) that I will ALSO need to invest in & budget for a more powerful preamp to match the mic?

2. What's the lowdown on LUNDAHL or JENSON update transformers? Someone recommended that whatever ribbon I get it would be worth updating the transformer to these. Eh?? To be honest I already feel a bit outta my depth here. I'm a USER & don't have much time, interest nor patience for all the technical stuff. I know how I want things to sound but I'm really no good with all the 'behind the scenes' stuff if you know what I mean. I don't have any qualifications in electronic science - I'm just a humble singer/songwriter who's looking for that kinda 60s acoustic/Dylan vibe/sound that I love so much but to date have been unable to capture. Really organic, natural, raw & true - no what I mean? Like I say, I recently had the good fortune to sing & play my acosutic (simultaneously) through an old RCA 44 and that was THE SOUND!!! Sounded absolutely awesome - no added EQ, compression, effects ... NOTHING! Like I also said though, there's no way on earth I can even begin to be able to afford such a mic & was kinda hoping there was an alternative that doesn't cost the earth & that would kinda get me that sound straight outta a box without having to worry about all the ROCKET SCIENCE!

3. Ribbon mics & harmonicas? I sing, strum acoustic & play a lot of harmonica simultaneously. I've read so much about the fragility of ribbon mics in general that I'm beginning to question whether it'll last in my home studio set-up. I don't wanna feel like I'm having to tip-toe about my attic on a carpet of eggshells! Some articles I've read state that even an inadvertant cough can damage the ribbon irrepairably! So what about all that forced through-air from playing harmonica? Once again, all thoughts MUCH, MUCH appreciated! I don't come across this kinda money very often & just wanna make sure I'm getting the very best & most suitable ribbon (& preamp??!) for my money. Cheers to everyone who's chipped in on this post to date! TRiP

super 8 said:
Do I go all out on buying the most expensive ribbon mic I can afford on my budget ...
YES.
And be happy with it as much as you can afford based on your be-happy-ability budget. When and if you run out of "happiness" - just sell the mic and/or just buy a different one.
p.s.1
Actually my 'answer' to the main question was based on rather lengthy thinking trail about your specific situation, as described.
p.s.2
Mics are like instruments, like guitars and such. A True guitarist knows no such thing as a bad guitar, but he/she plays the one he/she loves and also most likely ending up "customizing something" :) . Don't say such thing on the Microphones Forum, though. ;)
p.s.3
Russian "creators" always were and still are masters of "re-creation" - really really good at it. So you can count on Oktavas - years of "experience" and "dedicated research" there :D
/regards

Super,

"THAT" sound you heard in the RCA was possibly unique to that mic/signal chain and the actual acoustic environment you and it were in at the time..........IOW, even if you had that mic in your room, you probably wouldn't get the same results..........shame isn't it ;) .

Most preamps have max gain of 60dB and by the time you're get to their upper levels they are probably generating audible self-noise. I'm having troubles with my old Shure ribbon/JoeMeek VC1 combination and the VC1's max gain is 70dB........they really do need a clean, high gain pre. There are a few more recent ribbon mics being made with an inbuilt phantom powered pre similar to a condenser mic which overcome this problem...........probably a bit costly.

Mate, don't rush into it, do as much research on the www as possible, then make a decision.............then stop and recheck everything again before you reach for your wallet ;) .

:cool:

Last edited:
ausrock said:
Super,

Mate, don't rush into it, do as much research on the www as possible, then make a decision.............then stop and recheck everything again before you reach for your wallet ;) .

:cool:

Wise idea. It's amazing what you learn after rushing into things. :eek: Best to absorb everything you can on it before buying.

Dr ZEE said:
Russian "creators" always were and still are masters of "re-creation" - really really good at it. So you can count on Oktavas - years of "experience" and "dedicated research" there :D
/regards

I can attest to that! I already own an Oktava condensor, got it for cheap and really like it! Some say it's pretty ugly too (MK219) but I disagree. I think it rocks in style and sound. Built like a soviet tank! Not a fake mind you, but the real thing!! :D :D

Back