revox a77 or b77

kip4

calling all experts
which is the better machine please and why?
I have the chance to buy both (vastly differant prices but if its worth the differance i'll go with your advice)
thanks

The B77 is a more modern version, dating from about 1979 until sometime in the 1990s. It has logic controls and won't stretch the tape if you switch from fast wind to play or something. It can also be remotely controlled, I'm not sure if the A77 can do that.

Some people say that the A77 sounds a bit better, I can't really judge. I have a B77HS mk2, but it's faulty unfortunately and I haven't figured out how to fix it. Fast wind was having problems on mine, and the pinch roller solenoid was underpowered as well. It might be as simple as replacing some capacitors, but I'm not sure. I needed to have a mixdown deck so I got an A807 instead.

What you might want to look out for is the PR99, especially the mk2 or mk3 versions. These are the professional version of the B77, and the mk2 and mk3 have a digital counter (the mk1 and the B77 are mechanical), plus return to zero functionality.

There were some of these going on that BBC auction, in fact.

if i get the B77
do you think it would not only make a good recording machine but a fair mastering machine too?
home studio only

i think it must be a mki because of the price point.
I'm going to see both friday cant wait

I used the High Speed B77 as my mastering deck on three albums. It was a little noisy, but to be fair I was scared to touch the bias and it probably needed recapping. The A807 is better, but the B77 is a nice machine, and a damn sight more portable as well.

If it's the 15ips version, then yes, it will make a fairly nice mastering deck. I still use my faulty one for tape loops, phasing and slapback on occasion.

B77 without doubt. That machine is on my list of things to get sooner or later when a good one comes up. The half-track 15 ips version would make a great mastering deck. Only trouble with Revox is they did a poor job differentiating between the models. Some are 4-track 2-channel standard stereo with 3-3/4 and 7-1/2 ips selectable speeds. Some are even lower speed models for special use, and then there’s the one you want… half-track heads with selectable 7-1/2 and 15 ips speed. They’re all called B77, and often sellers don’t know what they have and can’t even figure it out when you try to walk them though the process of figuring it out.

The head cover will say whether or not it's a MK2 machine, and the two speed buttons should have 7.5 and 15 above them. But yeah, I was sure it had 'high speed' on the head cover too, and it doesn't.

I ended up getting the A77
The other deck was in a fairly bad way and he was asking top whack and it was not 15" ips so i settled on the A77 as a long term diy restoration project.
I do appreciate your help.
I'm sure i will need it again

Used both back in the 80's. The B77 was what I eventually used to master onto before switching to DAT in the 90s

Back