Reel to Reel

JimJoe

Hi:
My current setup consists of a soundcraft ghost recording to harddrive, mastering in Nuendo.
I never recorded onto analog tape however I have a bunch of music on what looks like 1/4" reels from a band I played with in 1982. (wow that's weird) anyway, I would like to get a reel to reel recorder/player and figure out how I could transfer the tracks to nuendo, remix and burn to cd. The tapes are Maxell UD 50-60 and on the backside it reads, recorded on TEAC 3440, 4Ch, 4Tracks, 38cmps (15ips).
Secondary to all of this, I was thinking of down the road getting a decent 4 to 8 track reel to reel in order to have the ability on new recordings to record some tracks and then record it into my harddrive setup for mastering and mixdown with the others. (I've heard this could sound sweet, so my curiousity is killing me to try it).
So my question is this, can I kill two birds with one stone. Will these (what looks like 1/4" tape) play on a 1/2" deck. Any suggestions on something decent for my purposes in the $500.00 range? Or should I find something really cheap to take care of the old tapes and purchase something different when the time comes for present recordings?
Thanks Jim

Sorry, 1/4" tape won't play on a 1/2" deck.

You'll need a separate deck for each format, 1/4" and 1/2".

Tascam 34B's a good choice for 1/4" 4 track, and for 1/2" 8 track, the 38 and TSR8 are good choices.

Back