recording to VHS tape

xandro

hi...I'm new here

this is a fascinating forum as I'm just getting my feet wet with home recording

I know that you can record tracks to VHS tape...but how would you go about it? Would you have to track down a vintage recorder? is it all in the matter of utilizing audio-in's on a standard Hi-Fi VCR deck?

was just curious about the matter...I tried seeing if anybody's covered that topic and it seems nobody has...or it's lost to the sands of time

thanks in advance

xandro said:
hi...I'm new here

this is a fascinating forum as I'm just getting my feet wet with home recording

I know that you can record tracks to VHS tape...but how would you go about it? Would you have to track down a vintage recorder? is it all in the matter of utilizing audio-in's on a standard Hi-Fi VCR deck?

was just curious about the matter...I tried seeing if anybody's covered that topic and it seems nobody has...or it's lost to the sands of time

thanks in advance

Exactly right, by "utilizing audio-in's on a standard Hi-Fi VCR deck". It would work exactly like any cassette deck. You'd hook up the RCA outs of the mixer to ins of the recorder, record your signal (you can't multitrack/overdub though) and listen back by going outs from your tape to ins of your mixer.

~Daniel

xandro said:
I tried seeing if anybody's covered that topic and it seems nobody has...or it's lost to the sands of time
this was discussed..., but I don't know what to search to find it.
In general you can use VHS to record audio, but keep in mind that it is not the same as analog tape recording from technical point and also VCR gives you no control over audio level.
You can check this two info sources:
MAGNETIC TAPE RECORDER RECORD AND REPRODUCE ELECTRONICS (this covers bassics of AM (amplitude modulation) and AFM (FM-frequency modulation)
and
Hi-Fi VCR's Hidden Audio Capabilities
I think this can give you enough info to get general idea.
I'd say, in general, using VHS (vcr audio) for music production is NOT really a good idea. (too many reasons why :) )

/respects

One nasty side effect of recording to VHS tape, from my own experience anyway, is a shrill high end response and a rather "glassy" sound. This and the VCR's automatic level control can really screw up the dynamics on certain instruments. I think it's an ok (and inexpensive) way to record a rehearsal but even getting a $50 consumer reel to reel deck would yield better and more natural results.

Good info Dr. ;)

~Daniel

thanks guys for the info

I had no idea that musicians even used VCR's in that way until fairly recently when a friend of mine suggested that I try doing that. He recorded drum tracks using that method a long time ago (sometime in the 1980's)

Back