Question about dx4d

OK - got it - Now we know how to do it

Sometimes it is hard for me to let go so I kept after the DX4 mod till I understand it now. Several people brought a part of the puzzle into focus for me. It helped me understand why tascam did it this way. Thanks!

I only have a schematic and some parts were not making sense to me.

OK so here goes. THe DX4 (and presumed dx2 and dx8) do not switch states internally. Both encode and decode are functioning all the time. (except during power up)

The control connector is only to prevent the unit from being used on other than teac/tascam decks. THe deck provides +5 volts and ground to power the LED side of the opto-isolator and its driver circuit and a 1 Hz square wave to identify the deck as a tascam.

At first I thought there was something clever going on where the duty cycle of the square wave would also act as a signature but I don't think so now. THere is a electrolytic cap that blocks DC so you just cannot pull the signal pin to +5 or to ground and have it work.

The second area of confusion was the circuitry that controls muting of the input and outputs. The answer here (mostly) is that after power on the mute is active for a second or 2 to allow the circuits to become stable. No muting based on the state of the deck.

Then Herm told us about the channel LED not working if the unit is not plugged into a deck....Clink, the last part fits into place.

So the 1 Hz passes through the electrolytic, it goes to a half-wave rectidier and into an RC network which feeds the negative input of and opamp which drives the LED of the opto-isolator. The opamps output goes low which turns on the LED. The photo diode in the opto-isolator starts to conduct and pulls the base of transistor Q001 to near the same value as its collector (which is at ground). Q001 now conducts pulling its emitter to ground.

Q001's emitter is connected to both the channel LED cathodes through the channel enable switches as well as the muting circuit. When Q001 is conducting (a deck is connected and sending a 1 Hz signal) the channel LED will work (the switches bypass or route audio through the encoder/decoder regardless of the control signal) and the muting circuit is turned off thus allowing audio to pass through the encoders/decoders.

Now for the mod to allow the DX4D to work with any deck....

THe mod is simple. all one needs to do is to tie the base of Q001 to ground. Which causes Q001 to conduct. THe actual mode is quite easy. One only needs to solder a wire across pins 3 and 4 of the opto-isolator (this is also the base to ground of Q001). It can be achieved from the bottom of the unit.

First pull off the bottom access panel after removing the 4 screws holding it in place. You did UNPLUG it from power didn't you?

With the unit upside down and the front toward locate the Control PCB assemble. (circled in red in the photo)

In the left corner of the control PCB you will find the opto-isolator IC. In the second photo you will see a jumper installed between pins 3 and 4. (Circled in red).

Just solder in a jumper like this and your DX4D will work on any deck (signal levels allowing).

Regards! Ethan

Attachments

• dx4-overview.jpg
    dx4-overview.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 385
  • Jumper.jpg
    Jumper.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 356
Control schematic

I also note that there are no fuses in my DX4D....

Attachments

• dx4d.JPG
    dx4d.JPG
    51.3 KB · Views: 396
Great work Ethan. Thanks for letting us all in on this. :cool: Now I'm curious to open mine to see if it's been modded. It works anyway but If I do this I let you know. That may be the difference I was confused about between the two I had. One I bought from Herm and sold to Sweetbeats. It works fine but I don't think it lights up until you plug it in to the deck. You might want to mod it sweetbeats. It's good to know that you can use them with anything.

I also note that there are no fuses in my DX4D....

Reviving this thread as

Well, I made the mistake of hooking up a DX-4D to a 22-4 and discovered that it doesn't work. Anyway, looking at the mod, it seems pretty simple to jumper the opto, but if that is it why not just short the "2" and "3" wires to "1" and remove the control circuitry all together? I.e. what is magic about passing through that transistor, if it is operating essentially as a switch? (Or is it. This is where I am a little ignorant in my electronics knowledge.) Other than that is a lot more work, my idea is to just remove all that and the cable and make it permanently modded....

Reviving this thread as

Well, I made the mistake of hooking up a DX-4D to a 22-4 and discovered that it doesn't work. Anyway, looking at the mod, it seems pretty simple to jumper the opto, but if that is it why not just short the "2" and "3" wires to "1" and remove the control circuitry all together? I.e. what is magic about passing through that transistor, if it is operating essentially as a switch? (Or is it. This is where I am a little ignorant in my electronics knowledge.) Other than that is a lot more work, my idea is to just remove all that and the cable and make it permanently modded....

No Magic with the mod. It just is something that can be done without removing the control PCB. The transistor only pulls to ground and thus unmutes and enables the LED.

Look for a thread coming to AO soon.

--Ethan

PS I also removed that stiff control cable....

Ethan...only 2 questions:
I am thinking of buying the DX-4D for my TEAC A3440 ,instead of the RX-9.
1)so after the mod,you don't need the signal control cable to be connected to TEAC A3440 right?
2)If you record with dx-4d,you have to playback with the dx-4d connected.Right?

Ethan...only 2 questions:
I am thinking of buying the DX-4D for my TEAC A3440 ,instead of the RX-9.
1)so after the mod,you don't need the signal control cable to be connected to TEAC A3440 right?
2)If you record with dx-4d,you have to playback with the dx-4d connected.Right?

1. Yes, 2. Yes.

Make sure the DX4D is modded properly. If it is not, it is easy to do, the instructions are all over the web. You need to both encode on recording and decode on playback. Make sure you label tapes properly so you dont forget later. Also the levels of the deck should be calibrated properly (As per the manual) for the DBX to work wihtout adding any weird noises.

Ok fgonza 2...i had a 228 dbx(2 CHANNEL),and it was really a headache connecting it to A3440.After buying the DX-4D,i will have everything plugged(encode,decode)without bothering about connections.I will definitely follow Ethan's (evm1024) method for the mod first, soldering the jumper to pin 3,4,and remove the signal cable.The TEAC A3440 ia already calibrated,and maybe i will try also to calibrate the DX-4D according to Ethan's method again.
Thank you for your great help!!!

Last edited:
Ok fgonza 2...i had a 228 dbx(2 CHANNEL),and it was really a headache connecting it to A3440.After buying the DX-4D,i will have everything plugged(encode,decode)without bothering about connections.I will definitely follow your method for the mod first, soldering the jumper to pin 3,4,and remove the signal cable.The TEAC A3440 ia already calibrated,and i will try also to calibrate the DX-4D according to your method again.
Thank you for your great help!!!

the DX4D is meant for line level (-10 dbm). So all you have to do is make sure the deck is calibrated for that and it'll work fine.

the DX4D is meant for line level (-10 dbm). So all you have to do is make sure the deck is calibrated for that and it'll work fine.

fgonza2...the TEAC A3440 is calibrated for line level.So ,this mod is necessary for the proper DX-4D's function with TEAC A3440, unless i had a TASCAM 34 or 38 deck...Should i try it at first ,without the mod ,or this will harm the units?

Last edited:
You can try it to see if it's already been modded. You should be able to tell easy enough and it won't harm anything. Otherwise, all you need to do is the mod Ethan mentions. Your levels are already matched.

I think if it's been modded the lights will come on when you just plug it into the wall. But I'm not 100% on that.

I think there is a different dbx unit for the 3440, (I don't remember the name DX-44 maybe? -- I did buy one by mistake once.) and I'm not sure if the 3440 even has the control connector. It won't hurt the unit (DX-4D) to try and see if it is modded. The mod is way easy, and I don't even solder, I just make a jumper out of a piece of thick copper wire. It takes longer to unscrew the bottom panel. I think SteveM is correct too about the lights staying lit when you plug in and engage the dbx in switches on the front. (I have a modded unit, and some unmodded but connected to a 38.)

I think there is a different dbx unit for the 3440, (I don't remember the name DX-44 maybe? -- I did buy one by mistake once.) and I'm not sure if the 3440 even has the control connector.
For A3440 is the TEAC RX-9.Even their side wooden panels look the same....
The TEAC RX-9 has the control signal cable....but as i can see,it's hard to find a good one,and they have also a relay issue ...that's the main reason that makes me looking for another dbx unit...
So thank you guys for your replies...i will let you know...ASAP!!!

the mod will just enable the circuit to work, it is not related to the line levels or anything. Basically what the mod does is to get rid of the "control signal" connection requirement, which was a way for Tascam to make the unit work only with certain models (licensing deal with DBX that hey had at the time). If you plan to use it on a non 3x series you have to do the mod, there is no other option. THe audio levels comment is about making sure the unit performs at its best. that's all. Let us know how it goes.

the mod will just enable the circuit to work, it is not related to the line levels or anything. Basically what the mod does is to get rid of the "control signal" connection requirement, which was a way for Tascam to make the unit work only with certain models (licensing deal with DBX that hey had at the time). If you plan to use it on a non 3x series you have to do the mod, there is no other option. THe audio levels comment is about making sure the unit performs at its best. that's all. Let us know how it goes.
i will fgonza2...i haven't any Tascam 32,34,38 ..just the TEAC A3440 and my favourite Revox PR99 MKI....i am curious (after the mod),how the DX-4D would work with the 2 channel Revox as well...

Last edited:
Let us know how it goes.
Hello fgonza...the unit(DX-4D) arrived with a huge delay...anyway i just did the mod,and i think that the channel leds work fine now.When i turn on the unit (buttons to every channel are unpressed),all the channel red leds lit...when the channel buttons are engaged,the leds turn off.Before the mod,the only working led,was that one for the ''power''.I haven't checked it with my Teac A3440 yet,but i will soon...to my surprise,the unit is 110V and not 220V as i expected(with the U.S plug).I bought the unit from ebay.uk and the seller didn't mention anything about the U.S power supply.So,i had to use a transformer because here in Greece we also have common power voltage to U.K.(220V-240V)....any other mod for changing the unit's voltage from 110V to 220V?
Thank you for the help!!

Last edited:
The schematic I have indicates several transformer options for different markets. It is possible the transformer has four connections or a switch for the input voltage if this is the "general export" model. Please post a picture of the power transformer.

Finally i deleted all the previous images...now these are 800x 450

Attachments

• M1110011.JPG
    M1110011.JPG
    151.2 KB · Views: 58
  • M1110001.JPG
    M1110001.JPG
    175.5 KB · Views: 58
  • M1110002.JPG
    M1110002.JPG
    180 KB · Views: 52
  • M1110003.JPG
    M1110003.JPG
    197.1 KB · Views: 52
  • M1110004.JPG
    M1110004.JPG
    194.1 KB · Views: 51
  • M1110005.JPG
    M1110005.JPG
    165.5 KB · Views: 51
  • M1110006.JPG
    M1110006.JPG
    172.5 KB · Views: 51
  • M1110007.JPG
    M1110007.JPG
    148.7 KB · Views: 51
  • M1110008.JPG
    M1110008.JPG
    159.9 KB · Views: 51
  • M1110009.JPG
    M1110009.JPG
    136.5 KB · Views: 50
  • M1110010.JPG
    M1110010.JPG
    144.1 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:
The schematic I have indicates several transformer options for different markets. It is possible the transformer has four connections or a switch for the input voltage if this is the "general export" model. Please post a picture of the power transformer.
Hellooooo...I have uploaded the photos Blue Jinn...is everything clear now?As i can see ,the transformer has 4 available connections to each side,and 3 cables are connected...should i swap any cables there?

Last edited:
When you upload pictures, please resize them. The full size pictures are about 5mb each and all of them loading crashed my browser several times. I had to disable inline viewing in order to respond.

Please look for a model number on the transformer. You want 5320017100. If it is 5320017000, it is N. America only and does not have additional primary taps, and cannot be jumpered for 220/240v. The General Export model should have a voltage adjustment switch near the transformer.

Please remove the photos if you can, and resize them and post again. (800x600 pixels will be fine.)

Last edited:
Back