pinch roller help

Sonic Rat

GeetarMan
Ok...I posted this in the Fostex forum,and so far have gotten no answers,so I"ll try it here......I bought another M80 for parts on Ebay....said it powered up but nothing else.....I get it and the capstan pinch roller is missing..I try out all the functions and they work.....so I figured I'd put my roller on it to see if it records (heads are almost perfect).....but the shaft on the one I got for parts is a little bigger,so my roller won't fit......any ideas on this?....also,where can I get a roller?......Thanks Dave :eek:

Sonic Rat said:
Ok...I posted this in the Fostex forum,and so far have gotten no answers,so I"ll try it here......I bought another M80 for parts on Ebay....said it powered up but nothing else.....I get it and the capstan pinch roller is missing..I try out all the functions and they work.....so I figured I'd put my roller on it to see if it records (heads are almost perfect).....but the shaft on the one I got for parts is a little bigger,so my roller won't fit......any ideas on this?....also,where can I get a roller?......Thanks Dave :eek:

Email these guys: http://www.openreel.net/index_e.html

They also have stuff not listed on their site [so be sure to ask]. They're really legit, good guys.

If they don't have your pinch roller in stock, find an old one, on ebay perhaps and send it to this guy: http://www.terrysrubberrollers.com/ or perhaps ask Terry if he has some spare rollers he can sell you.

Also, if your FOSTEX model uses a capstan belt, make sure you order it as well [through the openreel guys] and change it.

Good luck. :)

Thanks cjacek....Emailed Terry today,but haven't heard back yet.....anyone know anything about the differences in the pinch roller shaft size?..

Sonic Rat said:
Thanks cjacek....Emailed Terry today,but haven't heard back yet.....anyone know anything about the differences in the pinch roller shaft size?..

Are you sure the inside of an old pinch roller isn't still stuck on the shaft of the one you got for parts? It seems weird there'd be two different sizes on the same machine. I know some pinch rollers have removable insides.

I thought maybe something was stuck on it too,but the only thing there is the chromed shaft,just like the other one only bigger.....I've never seen this either...Maybe it was downsized on the newer decks......My main recorder is newer then the one I got for parts........ :confused:

Back