Paper or plastic?

jviss

We've all heard that phrase before. I'm talking about leader tape, though. What do you use? Why?

I'm new, and need supplies. I'm leaning towards paper. I don't like the static cling of poly; I like the idea of higher friction on threading onto a takeup reel.

I'd appreciate input on this.

I believe that plastic is OK for short leads-n-tails, so you have something other than the actual tape to handle/wind around the reels when putting them up...
...but paper is normally used for edits in-between, as the plastic can create static pops when rubbing back-n-forth across the guides/heads.

Paper for leads-n-tails isn't as strong and durable as the plastic for lots of handling...but it can be used there, especially if you want real long sections (to again avoid the static build-up) instead of the usual short plastic leads-n-tails.

At least that's what I've always understood.
I tend not to use either type all that much...but I have both on hand.
I just handle my tapes gently and prefer not to have the glued splices mucking things up as they usually always end up doing....and I don't cut/edit tape anymore...I do that part after I dump to my DAW! :)

I believe that plastic is OK for short leads-n-tails, so you have something other than the actual tape to handle/wind around the reels when putting them up...
...but paper is normally used for edits in-between, as the plastic can create static pops when rubbing back-n-forth across the guides/heads.

Paper for leads-n-tails isn't as strong and durable as the plastic for lots of handling...but it can be used there, especially if you want real long sections (to again avoid the static build-up) instead of the usual short plastic leads-n-tails.

At least that's what I've always understood.
I tend not to use either type all that much...but I have both on hand.
I just handle my tapes gently and prefer not to have the glued splices mucking things up as they usually always end up doing....and I don't cut/edit tape anymore...I do that part after I dump to my DAW! :)

Thanks for the info.

I used a lot of both on masters, but prefer paper in between songs. Lately though, since tape is so costly I almost can't stand to cut it t all, so I usually don't, but I will put leaders on each end.. red at the head and blue on the tails ideally.

Back