Otari MX70

Withneilandi

Hi,

does anyone have an opinion on these? I'm hopefully going to be getting hold of one soon. It's been modified to record 8 tracks on 1" tape. So you're getting more tape width per track than with 2" 24 track - I'm guessing the quality/resolution etc should be extremely good at this level?

Apparently it has low end rumble on record and needs to have something fixed on each card. Anyone know about how much this sort of thing costs?

Thanks! :)

Generally speaking, I think you're better off NOT buying a machine you know has issues, unless you're confident you can fix those problems on your own.

A lot of people on this forum have been burned on "steal of a deals" and, when they've brought them to repair shops, have spent hundreds of dollars in repair that never could fix their tape machine's woes.

Best wishes,
-MD

Hi,

does anyone have an opinion on these? I'm hopefully going to be getting hold of one soon. It's been modified to record 8 tracks on 1" tape. So you're getting more tape width per track than with 2" 24 track - I'm guessing the quality/resolution etc should be extremely good at this level?

Apparently it has low end rumble on record and needs to have something fixed on each card. Anyone know about how much this sort of thing costs?

Those types of machines usually were bought out by busy studios and may have an enormous amount of hours on 'em. The machine is only as good as the heads. If they're gone or close to it and can't be relapped, you may spend several thousand for a replacement. This doesn't even take into account other problems related to such high use. MD is right, don't buy a machine of such calibre with problems. STOP and read very carefully the following:
http://www.analogrules.com/buymachines.html
Scroll down a bit to get to the actual "tips", just below his list of multitracks.

Thanks for the advice, will definitely hold out for a machine without faults. Getting along ok with a Fostex Model 80 but I'd prefer better sound quality really. Would a 1/2" 8 track be worth looking for over the Model 80?

Thanks again!

Thanks for the advice, will definitely hold out for a machine without faults. Getting along ok with a Fostex Model 80 but I'd prefer better sound quality really. Would a 1/2" 8 track be worth looking for over the Model 80?

Thanks again!

I noticed a definite improvement in sound quality when I went from a Fostex R-8 up to a TASCAM 38 with outboard dbx NR, back in the early 90's. Tape prices being what they are these days might also make a 1/2" format more attractive.

There'd for sure be a big improvement moving all the way to a 1 ", 8 track format because you should be able to get away without using any noise reduction systems which add their own flavor/degradation to the sound and you'll gain benefits like less drop outs, more headroom for soft clipping and a generally thicker sound because of the added real estate that format would offer you. It's a serious step to take in many ways.

Cheers! :)

If the heads are ok, low end rumble could be due to the bias needing adjustment.

Personally if I only needed eight tracks I wouldn’t bother with 1” tape, or a machine of that size. With tape and maintenance costs there is a point of diminishing returns.

TASCAM’s track width for ½” 8-track is about the same as 2” 24-track because of the spacing. The band between each track is slightly narrower, but the track width is very close.

TASCAM 8-track has a .039 mil track width, while 2” 24-track ranges from .040-.043 mil depending on the manufacturer.

If I could get the original 16-track headstack and restore it to original condition an MX70 would be more attractive. It’s still a bit bulky for a home/project studio for my tastes and space.

:)

Back