Otari MX5050 to TASCAM M308B Problem

snipeguy

Andy Goldsworthy Wannabe
This is a weird problem. I just made some XLR to RCA output cables to use my Otari MX5050 MKIII 8 track with my M308B board. When sent the test tone from the Otari to the tape inputs I get the test tone coming through the stereo masters even when the input rail is completely off. Interestingly when I bring the fader up the signal gets lower and at three it is almost gone. Then it gets louder again right to the max end of the rail. I wired the cables with the XLR pin 2 to hot and 1 and 3 to the sheild of the RCA. Is this wrong? I feel like this is a signal path problem. Any help would be appreciated. :confused:

Are you using the M308B's tape return system system on the right side of the board which feeds the stereo buss directly?

Make sure those 1 - 8 tape return monitors are off and thereby feeding the main mixing strip channels...also be mindful of any feedback loops you might be inadvertently creating regarding monitor selection switching on the recorder.

I don't think your cables are at fault here. ;)

Cheers! :)

Update. Extreme weirdness at the Boogie Barn. I just finished farting around with the Otari for two hours and here's what happened. The only thing that worked was cabling thus: pin 2-hot, pin 3-sheild, pin 1-not connected. If I connected pin 1 I'd get the leakage. Also I had to lift the ground on the Otari. If I didn't, I'd get the signal leakage again. Also, when I did a test recording, the playback was distorted. I know my levels were fine. Where should the toggle switches on the back be set?(input hi/lo and output hi/lo). I had them all at high. They were intermittent so I cleaned them. I'm using the XLR buss outs on the 308 set at balanced. Should they be set unbalanced? I would have kept at it but I ran out of steam and had other stuff to do. Very frustrating. I know this is a lot of questions but anything will help.........even just a shoulder rub and some cookies and milk.

Here's a pic of a modification on the back as well. Maybe it's something. :o

Attachments

• modification.jpg
    modification.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 57
Update: I have it on good counsel that the 5050 8 track is wired PIN 3 HOT/PIN 1 SHEILD. I'll keep you posted after I redo the cables.

Success!

The Otari worked like a dream last night. Deep Troat was right; pin 3 hot, pin 1 sheild, pin 2 no connection. What a great sounding deck! That for all your help everyone. :)

snipeguy said:
The Otari worked like a dream last night. Deep Troat was right; pin 3 hot, pin 1 sheild, pin 2 no connection. What a great sounding deck! That for all your help everyone. :)
Didn't see that one coming! :eek:

Glad it worked out for you! :)

Cheers! :)

Back