Otari mx5050 mkIII question

garbagelarge

This may be a very stupid question and feel free to make fun of me as long as you answer. I know nothing about tape machines, and i just moved into a studio with an otari mx5050 mkIII. It will not stop when it is fastforwarding or rewinding. Only when it is playing. I can get it to stop if it is rewinding and i press fastforward, or vice versa, and i catch it at EXACTLY the right time. but obviously this is inconvenient. am i doing something wrong? is it a setting? i have no manual.
thanks, ben

garbagelarge said:
This may be a very stupid question and feel free to make fun of me as long as you answer.

neener-neener-neeneer!

I've only had to bust into my old fostex r8 for that same problem, even though I have a 5050 too. Best thing to do is take off the faceplates and see if you can figure it out by that, it sounds like a simple mechanical problem like a broken belt or brake or whatever.

i fixed it, i fixed it!

i just took the reels off and put them back on. now it seems to be working fine. horay, and thanks for looking

Be Careful How you load that thing

When I first got a mx 5050 there was no manual in site, but I had to play around with it. I had the tape running on the wrong side of the roller just past the first tension arm. There should be tension on that first arm, otherwise you'll get play and record but a runaway train on rewind and fast forward.

my reel machines sometimes get a similar problem, when the rollers on the tension arms get stuck.

Sometimes these tape machines are like women. You have to play with them a little to get them started. ;)

Back