new patchbay, but no keyboard playing back?

jwgeetar

ok, duh time here. thought i'd get smart and add a patchbay so i bought one. :spank:

i am slowly figuring it out, but i have my Roland keyboard patched in and out on the back of my patchbay like this:

Slot A (back) #1 jack top, wired out to my keyboard in,
Slot B (back) #1 jack bottom,is wired in to my keyboard out
the #1 jack is SET TO NORMALLED!

i use a Tascam 2488. it's early in the game here, but what do i do next to hear my keyboard? I have my Tascam hooked up to my moniter outs, so i can play back tracks fine.

thx...jw

What make/model patchbay?

Why are you using the patchbay?

it's a Behringer Ultrapatch pro 48 port. i wanted to make recording harder,thats why.:p

in reality, cause i built a rack to get all my stuff and cables out of that pile by my Tascam mainly. gonna get a rack mount EQ to go in it to fatten up my acoustic tracks. old skool i guess....just tired of fighting cables.

just now, i figured out how to patch in my powered moniters and got the effects send working outa the Tascam. problem now is i lost my master volume sliders, and can only adjust volume in the effects send 1. any tips?

If you aren't really familiar with normaling, may I suggest you do some reading on the subject. There are different types of "normal".

In a pro setup, the rule is that outputs are on the top row of the patch panel, while inputs are on the bottom row.

When a set of jacks is normalled, the top jack is internally connected to the corresponding bottom jack. Which means that the output from your keyboard is connected to the input of your keyboard. I'm not familiar with Roland keyboards, but that sounds like a definite no-no.

I'm assuming that the input on your keyboard is to be used for connecting something like a CD player or drum machine. So you would not want to connect the output of your keyboard to it.

I don't have time to write a "Patchbays 101", but I'll give you a couple of pointers...

Assume you want to have your keyboard to be connected through your patchbay to input 3 on your 2488. You would connect the mono output of your keyboard to a jack on the upper row on the back of the patch panel. Next, connect the corresponding jack on the lower row on the back of the patch panel to input 3 on the 2488. Then, make sure the switch on top of the patch panel above the jack pair is set to "Normalled".

Again, you really need to read up on "normalling" and patch panels. You also need to read up on "balanced" vs "unbalanced" inputs/outputs/cables as that also enters into the equation.

Good luck!

If you aren't really familiar with normaling, may I suggest you do some reading on the subject. There are different types of "normal".

In a pro setup, the rule is that outputs are on the top row of the patch panel, while inputs are on the bottom row.

When a set of jacks is normalled, the top jack is internally connected to the corresponding bottom jack. Which means that the output from your keyboard is connected to the input of your keyboard. I'm not familiar with Roland keyboards, but that sounds like a definite no-no.

I'm assuming that the input on your keyboard is to be used for connecting something like a CD player or drum machine. So you would not want to connect the output of your keyboard to it.

I don't have time to write a "Patchbays 101", but I'll give you a couple of pointers...

Assume you want to have your keyboard to be connected through your patchbay to input 3 on your 2488. You would connect the mono output of your keyboard to a jack on the upper row on the back of the patch panel. Next, connect the corresponding jack on the lower row on the back of the patch panel to input 3 on the 2488. Then, make sure the switch on top of the patch panel above the jack pair is set to "Normalled".

Again, you really need to read up on "normalling" and patch panels. You also need to read up on "balanced" vs "unbalanced" inputs/outputs/cables as that also enters into the equation.

Good luck!

thx, I have read patchbay tutorials till i'm sick, i just get more confused. time to plug n play-- .;) you say the mono out on the Roland to my patchbay out? that could be trouble as thats an out to an out. right? but returning it to 3 i will try. right now i'm using the effects send to connect the 2488.

Back