New addition to studio: custom made desk

famous beagle

So my dad gave me the twin beds that he and his brother slept in as children and told me to do whatever I wanted with them. We didn't have a need for the beds, but the wood was 60-something-year-old maple that looked really nice. I'd been wanting to build a mixing desk when I could afford something nicer than plywood, so .........

Here's how it went down! :)

The numbered shots show the work in progress from bed to desk; the other three show the finished project. I'm also in the process of redesigning my sound panels/bass traps/etc., so they're not hung right now.

Attachments

• Reel to Reel.JPG
    Reel to Reel.JPG
    191.3 KB · Views: 118
  • Desk 01.JPG
    Desk 01.JPG
    146.2 KB · Views: 120
  • Desk 02.JPG
    Desk 02.JPG
    156.9 KB · Views: 113
  • Desk 03.JPG
    Desk 03.JPG
    143.9 KB · Views: 113
  • Desk 04.JPG
    Desk 04.JPG
    150 KB · Views: 110
  • Desk 05.JPG
    Desk 05.JPG
    135.2 KB · Views: 112
  • Desk 06.JPG
    Desk 06.JPG
    135.4 KB · Views: 109
  • Desk 07.JPG
    Desk 07.JPG
    148.7 KB · Views: 107
  • Desk 08.JPG
    Desk 08.JPG
    157.9 KB · Views: 111
  • Desk 09.JPG
    Desk 09.JPG
    166.2 KB · Views: 114
  • Desk 10.JPG
    Desk 10.JPG
    138.3 KB · Views: 115
  • Desk 11.JPG
    Desk 11.JPG
    134.5 KB · Views: 110
  • Desk 12.JPG
    Desk 12.JPG
    131.9 KB · Views: 112
  • desk front (web).JPG
    desk front (web).JPG
    167.4 KB · Views: 125
  • Desk length (web).JPG
    Desk length (web).JPG
    136.7 KB · Views: 113
  • Desk rack (web).JPG
    Desk rack (web).JPG
    197 KB · Views: 114
Nice work, FB! :)

Looks very functional and even reasonably handsome! Nice to see the beds being recycled rather then going in the trash or being sold off to strangers who wouldn't appreciate their history.

Cheers! :)

REALLY nice job sir. I love the fact that you're taking something with family ties and retasking it into something usefull and sharp.

Thanks y'all. I'm really happy with the way it turned out. It's neat too that the wood has a special significance to me.

Looks great. Really excellent use of the wood and it is really good looking maple. They don't build children's beds out of material like that anymore...

If you don't mind me asking.. what gear do you have in the racks?

On the left i see:

Yamaha Reverb/Delay unit SPX____

Roland ____

Fostex... EQ? Compressor?

DOD looks like a compressor of some kind?

Not sure at all what the next piece is...

DBX 166

Tascam Cassette deck

Alesis Amp, for the NS10s I assume.

On the right side I see a couple 1U 31 band Graphic EQs?

I see no racked audio interface but the computer seems to have a large mass of cables coming out the back.. some kind of PCI interface?

Looks like a very effective and comfortable setup.

Looks great. Really excellent use of the wood and it is really good looking maple. They don't build children's beds out of material like that anymore...

If you don't mind me asking.. what gear do you have in the racks?

On the left i see:

Yamaha Reverb/Delay unit SPX____

Roland ____

Fostex... EQ? Compressor?

DOD looks like a compressor of some kind?

Not sure at all what the next piece is...

DBX 166

Tascam Cassette deck

Alesis Amp, for the NS10s I assume.

On the right side I see a couple 1U 31 band Graphic EQs?

I see no racked audio interface but the computer seems to have a large mass of cables coming out the back.. some kind of PCI interface?

Looks like a very effective and comfortable setup.

Thanks! They certainly do not build them like that anymore! :)

Sure, no problem.

Left rack, from top down:
3 patch bays (1 48 point and 2 32 point)
Yamaha SPX90 - multi FX
Roland SDE-2000 digital delay
Fostex 3050 digital delay (mono, but sounds great)
DOD R-825 mono compressor
DOD R-825 mono compressor (same model but slightly different look)
DBX 166 stereo compressor
Tascam 130 cassette deck
Alesis RA-100 amp (yep for the Yami's)

Right rack: (2) DOD R-431 graphic EQ's

Yes the audio interface is an M-Audio Delta 1010LT PCI interface. I use it for all my work stuff because I'm on the clock, but when recording my own songs, I either use the Tascam 424 mkIII cassette 4-track or the Fostex R8 reel to reel.

Great stuff. You are a man after my own heart.

I love recycling stuff. Its very rewarding and its nice that another item doesn't end up in landfills.

i noticed a fostex R8 . So prior to your recent purchase attempts, you've owned one. What happened to that one?

Great stuff. You are a man after my own heart.

I love recycling stuff. Its very rewarding and its nice that another item doesn't end up in landfills.

i noticed a fostex R8 . So prior to your recent purchase attempts, you've owned one. What happened to that one?

It's worse than that. I've owned ... let me see .... including the current one (damaged in shipping) ... it's been 6 multi-track ATRs in the past: Two Tascam 38s, a Tasc the Fostex R8, and two Fostex 80s.

I bought the first Tascam 38 back in 97 or so when they were dirt cheap. I drove from Dallas to Lafayette to get it (pretty sure I found that on Harmonycentral.com back then). To be honest, I can't remember whether I even got to try that out. I don't know if I ever bought tape for it. I know it at least played because the guy played me a tape when I bought it from him. For some reason, I sold the machine.

I bought the second one in early 2000s off ebay I think, but it turned out to have a misaligned reel (like my current Fostex). Come to think of it, that may have been damaged in shipping too. I think I sat on it for too long though before trying it out, so I wasn't able to contact the seller or file a claim. I sold that locally (disclosing the damage, of course).

The TSR 8 was probably a year after that on ebay as well. When it arrived, I quickly tested it (I had tape ready to go), and it was awful. The heads (that "looked great" according to the auction) were in awful shape, and it would barely record any signal on tracks 1 or 2 even after a thorough cleaning. I returned it.

By that point, the analog resurgence had taken hold, and prices were starting to soar. So I let the R2R dream die for a while, sticking to cassette 4 tracks for my analog fix. I was also using various standalone digital recorders, including Roland VS 880, Yamaha AW16G, etc.

Finally, about three years ago, I decided to try the R2R dream again, so I got the Fostex R8. When I got it, I ran a test, recording some spoken voice tests on all the tracks. Everything seemed to work great, so I thought I'd found a winner. However, when I tried to record music on it, I noticed that it was not playing back at full speed. This wasn't obvious with just spoken word, but it was pretty obvious with music. I eventually realized that it wouldn't even make it through an entire reel during FF. It would start off strong, but it would putter out and eventually stop around 3/4 of the way through. Again, it was too late to get a refund on eBay. After trying to fix it myself, I ended up selling it for parts or repair on ebay. The good news was that, even doing that, I almost got back what I paid for it.

And that brings us up to date with the last two Fostex machines.

My wife thinks I'm just crazy at this point. She keeps telling me, "I really think the universe is trying to tell you something!"

But I just tell her, "I just want a damned multi-track R2R! Lots of other people have working ones! Why can't I????"

I won't lie. It's been incredibly frustrating for sure. And I've come close to giving up the dream several times. I've made a decision that this Fostex 80 would be the last one I buy off eBay. I'm hoping that I can get this one repaired and file a claim with USPS to pay for it (they should, because it was totally insured). But it that can't happen for whatever reason and I have to return this one, from now on I'm sticking to local machines on CL that I can fully test myself before buying and avoid shipping.

Yep.

Every machine I've ever bought was done locally, where I could go in person to see it before handing over my money and sticking to that regime, I have never bought a dud.

The internet is cool and lots of fun but its a genuine snake pit when it comes to buying used gear. :(

I feel your pain, man.

Cheers! :)

Wow, a sad tale indeed. I do admire your tenacity. Fuck what the universe is trying to tell you!
Are we not men? We rule, we change things, we conquer! !!
Sorry, got a little excited there. Lol

With any measure of luck, and cash, youll be able to fix this one and be back and running.

If not, I think sweetbeats has a nice serviced tascam 238 available. And he KNOWS how to pack!
:-)

That is an awesome job of repurposing! Like someone said it remains in the family, if not as beds to sleep on, but now a bed for innovation.

What a miserable tale on reel to reels. Sounds possibly like one of the fostex machine you describe might have been dealing with SSS tape.

Keep at it! You will get one. Shipping and reel to reels doesnt seem to mix for a lot of people.

I only buy ones that are too big to ship, way too big, and so far its worked well for me.

mdainsd: Thanks! Yeah the shipping has not been good to me. I think it's time to put that possibility aside.

Wish: Thanks much!

Wow, a sad tale indeed. I do admire your tenacity. Fuck what the universe is trying to tell you!
Are we not men? We rule, we change things, we conquer! !!
Sorry, got a little excited there. Lol

With any measure of luck, and cash, youll be able to fix this one and be back and running.

If not, I think sweetbeats has a nice serviced tascam 238 available. And he KNOWS how to pack!
:-)

Yes, my hope is to get this one back up and running, because it really was in such nice condition. I'm just trying to figure out how to proceed. I can't complete a claim with USPS until I provide an estimate for a repair, and I can't get an estimate until I find someone who I trust with this thing. That's where I'm at now. I've sent emails out to the guy I worked with on my band's latest album, who has a 2" Studer. I want to find out who he uses! :)

Back