NAB adaptor for Tascam 38

WarmJetGuitar

Hi there!
This is my first post - this seems to be a great forum :)

I've recently bought a Tascam 38 for cheap - however it needs a new pinch roller (seems to be pretty common for Tascams) and it has a broken NAB-adaptor as well.
It's a half inch machine and I stumbled upon one from Thomann. Problem is that it says quarter inch - would it do the trick anyway? I've never seen a quarter inch machine using NAB's but then again... I am a rookie in the world of analog recording.

Can you help me out guys? Really looking forward to go all-analog - the 38 will work together with a Fostex A4 which IMO is a much better machine than their reputation says.

Yeah, you'll need the 1/2" version, I'm afraid. The one you've found is for the Tascam 32, BR-20 and other 2-track mastering decks.

Thanks a lot!
Well, my question was kindda stupid I know but I have yet to see any quarter inch machine with NABs and guessed (wrong) it might be a mistake of Thomanns. Now I know they're out there.
Let's hope Tascam/Teac Europe has some half inch NABs in stock. The heads seem alright so I'm pretty close to get it working alright.

Thanks a lot!
Well, my question was kindda stupid I know but I have yet to see any quarter inch machine with NABs and guessed (wrong) it might be a mistake of Thomanns. Now I know they're out there.
Let's hope Tascam/Teac Europe has some half inch NABs in stock. The heads seem alright so I'm pretty close to get it working alright.

Yeah, pretty much all professional 1/4" machines use NABs. Revox/Studer have their own design, and Otari also (though I hear the Otari ones are incompatible with anything else). The only exceptions I can think of are the Tascam 22 and the Fostex M20, which only go up to 7".

Charles Hyde in the UK claim the 1/2" NAB adaptors are available (though they said the same about the MSR-24 manual and I'm still waiting for that to arrive). If you can't find something closer to home, you might try them if they'll ship abroad. I may have a spare one myself, but it would be a nuisance to post.

Oh, and here's the link for CHS:
http://www.chsinteractive.co.uk/electrical-components/misc/tsr8-adaptor-nab-1-2-tascam.htm

Charles Hyde in the UK claim the 1/2" NAB adaptors are available (though they said the same about the MSR-24 manual and I'm still waiting for that to arrive). If you can't find something closer to home, you might try them if they'll ship abroad. I may have a spare one myself, but it would be a nuisance to post.
[/QUOTE]

Thanks again man! Would you by any means want to sell your spare NAB - and what would it cost? I don't have money before next month. I've been trying to come through to Tascam - so far only Tascam US responded and they won't ship to Europe.

My only reel to reel experience comes from a four track Fostex A4 that run 1/4" on 7" reels and a Revox A77. The Fostex is a pretty nice machine - warm sounding and very stable, but damm I look forward to not having to let the bass and drums share two tracks and being able to overdub stuff without the tracks getting in touch with the computer.

@Homepage: Say what?

Homepage is just a spambot, ignore it. Another forum that I moderate on has had a remarkable storm of the things, we've had to make the registration process much tighter and are now going back through the last 4 days worth of registrations (about 100!) to weed out the ones which are actually real users and not spammers. HomeRecording seems to have got off fairly lightly, but I wouldn't know for sure.

Anyway, this has a nice example of a 1/4" Revox NAB hub:
Forum - GENERAL DISCUSSIONS : Music Recording Technology

...and yeah, I do have a spare 1/2" one. Used, but it should be good and is certainly better than nothing.

I probably won't be able to do anything about it until July anyway, let me know in a couple of weeks if you still need it and I'll see what I can do. I think it was about £6 to post something that kind of size to Moscow, so Denmark is probably something similar.
The replacement NAB adaptor was about £19 when I bought it, but I'm not terribly fussed and it's not the new one you'd be getting anyway.

(In case you're wondering, one of the reel tables on the TSR-8 was eccentric, so I bought a replacement NAB adaptor to see if the problem went away. It didn't.)

Back