Joemeek preamp/compressor into Tascam mixer

DESSERT DWELLER

HI,
I am just curious about this. I am running an AT 4050 mic into a Joemeek preamp/compressor and then taking the line out of the Joemeek and plugging that into the line in on channel 1 of a Tascam M-308 mixer. I am recording onto a Tascam 22-4 reel to reel.

My question is about the trim control for the line in on the 308 mixer. I am finding I need to really crank the trim to get a hot level. Does this sound normal for my set up? I am using the preamp and phantom power in the Joemeek and getting a hot signal before going into the 308 mixer. The recorded sound I am getting is good but I was thinking I would need to turn the trim down very low on the mixer input since I am using the preamp on the Joemeek.

I hope I explained this well. Any information or help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Peter

Do you have the pad engaged on the channel strip you're using? That would be the top button above the trim knob. I think it cuts about 30 db.

Thanks guys,

No I don't have the pad engaged. I did check that and thought that might be the case. Herm, I am going to try bypassing the mixer and going direct from the Joemeek to the 22-4.

Herm, I thought I read in the mic forum that you were using a Shure SM7. Is this true? Do you think the preamps in the 308 Tascam mixer provide enough gain for the Shure SM7?

Thanks for your help.

I used the sm7 for about a week with my 312b mixer,s preamps and was not that krazy about it. Dont get me wrong I think its a descent mic but I think for the price there are better choises out there.
It did take alot of gain but the mixer will work with it.

Back