An Invitation

craz

Hi again all,

I've a website where you guys can demo your recordings -

http://baz.perlmonk.org/main.cgi

I'd like to see some analog / reel-to-reel additions. Just remember to you give details of the process involved in making the recording. All Bit rates are catered for ;)

Enjoy!

Hey Craz - thanks !

I just put a couple of recordings up on your site, kind of a high end and low end version of recording. Obviously I'm not the author of either one - BBKing and Jimi Hendrix... I don't have anything original yet or I probably would have gone to Nowhere Radio. Oh, well, one thing at a time.

Anyways - Thrill is Gone is an example of low end recording - as indicated, I used a Tascam 414 as a mixer, feeding a hifi VCR. With used prices on eBay, that would cost about $200 to set up, and gives a 2 hour recording capacity, great for band practice recording!

Little Wing was a kind of happy accident, I was fiddling around while setting up my new Tascam M320B console and Tascam 38 1/2" tape deck, only used 2 tracks, had an SM57 mic in on the amp, sat at the console playing with levels, turned on the channel with the Rode NT1, which was actually behind my right shoulder, and no more than about 1.5 feet from the tape deck, set a level for it to pick up the guitar amp from a distance, get a room sound, and started playing. Kinda wandered into little wing, and went ahead and sang the verses, not expecting it to come out, given that the mic was behind me!! When I mixed it down, I found I was able to gate out most of the deck noise, but it's particularly noticeable in the beginning.

Both of these were mixed down to a Fostex Dmt-8vl hard disk recorder, and then burned to CD. I recently picked up CDex to convert to MP3. It's a good program for ripping and encoding, I guess, easy enough to use, but I'm really not at all thrilled when I hear the difference between the original CD version and the MP3 version of these songs.

anyways, they're at your site - thanks!!

http://baz.perlmonk.org/main.cgi

b-h

Okay dude, I hopped on your thread.

I'm all analog, all covers, [almost] all the time. I have a few recent recordings and quite a few older ones in the archives, of almost 100% analog recordings, with only a few digital exceptions. I issued a totally self indulgent free 4-cd set of my home recordings last year and earlier this year, to basically anyone who wanted to hear it, and it played to many favorable reviews and a fair amount of lambasting. I guess you had to be there. What's the name? Haha.

Find my most recent crap at www.nowhereradio.com/davemania/singles

Back