Interesting article on vinyl vs. tape

Besides the pic of the br20, what was interesting : ) I can't have those beauties, so the pics will have to do. I'm not giving up the LP and cassette just because I have lots of open reel decks and recorders.

The prices have been inflated, in my opinion. However, having nice gear is its own game : ) I dunno about that last line with flat response ! hahaha It can be flat enough for me, but that's not flat

What is this;

" Set decorator Kate Foster, who will be using several classic Tandberg decks in the upcoming season of the F/X series The Americans, says a R2R is more than just an old tape player. It’s a symbol. "Big tape reels suggests an audio connoisseur with technical skills," says Foster. "You don’t get the same vibe with a turntable. A R2R on the bookshelf means sophisticated and smart."

Is that right ? Take it from a set decorator.

My music room 2-track gets 5-inch reels and 15-ips can be good, but what 15-ips music can one buy. The common use was recording ones records.

There was a secret desire( for me) for tape project tapes when they cost a bunch less, but all along they said a decks amps were the weak link and we need to buy better amps : )

Well, renewed interest in the format can help keep these things running into the future, ensure that tape continues to be made, 3rd party part availability and so forth....

Ya, the 15-ips in the dining room for diner parties. For the adult Ferris Bueller . Likely, the 7-inch sell better. I don't want heavy spools on my babys. I do have big spools, but it's all 3 3/4 MONO Jazz, or, warmed over Moby Grape. The last new stuff I bought was that Ampex with all the drop-outs : ) I buy the NOS, and then it's mostly cassettes. I should try one new formulation and see how it holds up with Hi-Res digital formats

Back