Inserts & patchbays

scorpio01169

What's the best way to connect my insert connections to patchbay so i can use the patchbay instead of hooking compressors to the back of my console?

Make use of low capacitance cabling with good shielding and use a "normalized" patch bay that internally connects the top jack to the one below it if nothing is connected. Those require no additional patch link cable. Then you can just patch in a compressor, etc, as needed. Also try to keep the cabling as short as possible. And try to buy or make cables that require no adaptors to mate the jacks to the plugs.

Cheers! :)

here is the manual that came with mine, explains it pretty good. Thanks

Attachments

• s-patchplus_OM_v1.pdf
    165.1 KB · Views: 177
here is the manual that came with mine, explains it pretty good. Thanks
Thank you for that...it helped me out a lot. I was using a TRS to TRS cable from the insert input of my console to a patchbay thinking that the connection from patchbay to my compressor would be enough, but as soon as I broke the connection from the compressor and insert plug from the patch bay i got no audio from my board. I know now that the send and return has to always be connected or you break the signal when pluging in a cable with no signaled return.

Thank you for that...it helped me out a lot. I was using a TRS to TRS cable from the insert input of my console to a patchbay thinking that the connection from patchbay to my compressor would be enough, but as soon as I broke the connection from the compressor and insert plug from the patch bay i got no audio from my board. I know now that the send and return has to always be connected or you break the signal when pluging in a cable with no signaled return.

Glad to help, I still have to stop and think about it sometimes, the one thing I love about this patch bay is you do not have to un-rack it to change the settings. the old one I had was a real pain, you had to remove the top cover to change anything. :thumbs up:

I have a Behringer PX3000 patchbay 48 point Balanced. and I also have a M-Audio Fast Track Ultra 8R Interface, 8x8 . I also have a Mackie SR32-4 bus Mixer but I was told , seeing I Track and Mix in the Box it would be easyer to bypass the Mixer and set the patchbay up this way. I have 4 PreAmps 2 Compressors, 1 Reverb unit and a few guitar and Vocal effects, and my Monitors. could someone suggest the best way to set my patchbay up.

And, in response to the question that wasn't asked...

If you have single 1/4" "insert" jack (as is quite common), it uses a TRS plug, but it carries two separate unbalanced connections. This is done by what is commonly called the "Tip Send/Ring Return" format. The tip and sleeve form one unbalanced circuit, which is connected to the input on the external gear, while the ring and sleeve form the other unbalanced circuit, which is connected to the output on the external gear. Hosa and other companies sell 1 TRS x 2 TS cables, and 4 TRS x 8 TS snakes to ease these connections.

But you have to remember that you may be connecting to balanced I/O on the external gear and may
need to compensate for level differences that may result, although some gear now does this internally.

This can also complicate things is you're running through a patch panel as you may have balanced and unbalanced jacks in the same row...

Back